Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a code 22, i looked on topbuzz and it says Code 22 Throttle Potentiometer Sensor (TPS) Low voltage

anyone any ideas what this is and how to fix it?

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
I thought tps was throttle posion sensor
if it is, its near the pivot point on the accelarator cable
re 4b.21 in haynes

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Both descriptions for TPS are correct though its technical description is a Potentiometer (i.e variable resistor).

Low voltage - did you alter the throttle opening at rest or remove the TPS for any reason ? If you did it may need resetting - i.e chack it all over and disconnect the ECU for a few minutes.

You manage to sort out your throttle cable m8?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not altered anything there as far as im aware, ill check it all over later and make sure its connected, what does the tps do then?

as for the throttle cable, im not entirly sure what to do with this, dicko has a metal tube over the cable and this spaces it backwards on the throttle body part of the cable, it was spaced about 3cm, i used about 3 cm of hard rubber fuel pipe to space it, did the job ok from what i can see, there is no slack and when i push the pedal down i can get full throttle.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
The TPS went on my C16XE when I first got my Corsa in '99. To get at it is a complete bugger. You've got to remove the upper section of the inlet manifold and the throttle body to get at the TPS.

In the end I let Vauxhall do it. The bill was around £120.

What are your symptoms BTW. Mine would hold on to the revs inbetween gearchanges and idle at 2Krpm.

Have you got the Haynes Corsa manual?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The TPS tells the position of the butterfly flap, so its knows if it closed, open or wide open. Some cars its a simple microswitch, others it is a varible resistor sliding slong, telling the ECU the price position of the butterfly flap.

Anyway, if you want a new cheap one, see www.autovaux.co.uk

If its knacked, running will not be up to spec, may have lost is whomph.

Also if its been moved, the location id fixed at the factory, although you can lossen the bolts and rotate it a bit, DON'T do this, you'll change the settings.

If its a microswitch version, you can hear the 'click' it makes when the butterfly flap is used. But a Potentiometer type you won't hear nothing when its moving.

If you have a DVM you can check the rsistance of the TPS when its disconnected frm the loom. If it resistance dosn't move or its infinity, its faulty, get a new one.

But first I would check the connections first, that it plugs in home, spray conntact cleaner on the pins and give it a good scrub. Then look for any cuts or burns in the wire loom to it, as that may be the fault.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ill check the wiring first then, i hope that cures it, otherwise its gonna be a bugger to change from the sounds of it.

As yet i have no symptoms, i have just fitted the engine and ste got it running for me, the fault code showed up as soon as he checked the diag system and he said it was 22.

Ive got the haynes so ill take a look later.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
you have to remove the expansion bottle,the battery,the upper inlet manifold and finally the throttle body.
There is NOTHING difficult about doing this it just takes longer,replace any gaskets with new as if they dont seal you would be seriousl gutted.
Why cant they be like a nova gte,i changed a TPS on my old one in about 10 mins.
Easy job,its just setting it right that can be tricky.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Boy am I glad I am junking the standard set up for throttle bodies in a months time before anyhing goes wrong. I cant understand why Vauxhall use that silly upper manifold section as you have to remove it do do just about anything to the fuel system and it is very restrictive. It must be the oft repeated story that the 16XE engine was too powerful and had to be choked by a restrictive inket, but still surely there must be a better way than this. It does sound pretty good however, especially the C16XE with the plastic upper inlet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, just looked in the haynes, it does look like a lengthy job but not over difficult i hope, i didnt get chance to check the wiring so im still hoping its just a bad connection.

ill be looking to ditch the injection system next year in favour of some nice 40s mmmmm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts