Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting a mk3 astra gsi when the insurance runs out on my current car, but im torn between the ecotec and the redtop. obviously the red tops are older but a bit quicker than the later ecotecs, but im quite keen on having a drivers airbag, which i believe all ecotecs came with?. ive driven my mates mk2 gte 16v, so will the drop in performance of an ecotec be that notable? also there doesnt seem to be much difference in my insurance quotes despite the extra 15 bhp the redtop models have.
i should have a budget of around £3k?

any views?

cheers

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
ive driven my mates mk2 gte 16v, so will the drop in performance of an ecotec be that notable?
yes, its noticeable from a Redtop GSi to a GTE - its not just BHP, its weight.

I havent heard of anyone having an airbag so high on theior list before - is it that important? ECOTEC is sh*te comepared to the redtop.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I understand your dilema.

The redtop GSi's, lovely as they are, are stupidly overpriced.

You still pay a lot of money for something that will have rusty arches and sills that aren't long for this world...

The ECO GSi's are much newer obviously - but a lot rarer and still pricey.

TBH, I'd be going for as late a car as possible. The engine is so easily changed anyway.....
I'm pretty sure the airbag was standard from '94 onwards?? So that gives you the 'L' and 'M' plate redtops and 1.8 C18XE engines anyway.

In everyday driving, the X20XEV in my old Cavalier felt almost as fizzy as the (old) redtop in my Astra GSi.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the prospect of headbutting something which isnt an air bag at any significant speed isnt an excitng one!
the mk3 redtops ive seen are usually high mileage and rusty, i have the money for a later model, but that means ecotec!
the 8v or 1.8 arent an option as their not quick enough.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The only 8v you're ever likely to come across is one of the VERY first 50-odd 'J' plate, 'test the water' type efforts issued by Vaux.
Or of course, something that someone has played about with?

1.8 is a C18XE. Ok, it doesn't have the sheer grunt that a redtop has but it's no slouch.

Unfortunately, unless you have a lot of money to play with, you can't be too fussy. Like you said, most redtops are now rotten (or going that way) or have been to the moon and back.

So, really it would seem that one of the last 'R' plate special edition GSi's with the 2.0 16v Eco engine would seem the best bet for you..... but they can go for £5k still....

My choice would be a nice clean 'L' plate with the 1.8 engine for not much £££, then an engine conversion if you find the 130brake lacking - but that's just me!

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
503 Posts
even better option is to get what ive got, a 1993 l reg 2.0 16v redtop, its got exactly what you want, my engines standard at the moment and is running at 152bhp, and its got drivers airbag, no rusty arches and its done below average miles of 102k. car is still running like new ; )

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Brett said:
yes, its noticeable from a Redtop GSi to a GTE - its not just BHP, its weight.

I havent heard of anyone having an airbag so high on theior list before - is it that important? ECOTEC is sh*te comepared to the redtop.
True, in standard form they are not great, but there are plenty of good kits out there to imporve them. You can get 200bhp from an Ecotec on TB's for about 2/3'ds the cost of an XE, so although they might not be as good out the box, they are still potentially good with work. I'd have one if finding a good redtops was proving difficult.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seems a later plate ecotec is the one for me then, i'd rather have a clean example,rather than a rusty 120k redtop, just for the sake of having the engine with more poke.
hell, i'll even have a look at insurance on on the 1.8 16v

cheers lads

dave

·
MIGClub Member
15,237 Posts
People slate the ECOs & although the XE redtop is great it has its downfalls as being rather noisy & not very refined.

Although I'd go for the redtop I would still say that an ECOTEC motor would make a nice drive. Its a similar power output to a Renault 16v motor but with more torque & a better power delivery.

ATC does a nice turbo conversion for when U get bored anyway (better than a LET).

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
depends on how much u wanna spend

id pay 2k max for a redtop in vgc but u can pick up low miles ecotecs for 3k - thats pretty good and youll get a fair bit of cash back in a few years.

redtops not so true......

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
some people are being realistic about GSi prices now, there was a 90k mile K reg GSi in spectral blue for £1695 on auto trader the other day a mate was on about.

dont understand why anyone would pay 3k for a 10 year old + Astra, but the GSi is highly rated/sough after for whatever reasonslmaolmao

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
a lad round ere was wanting 2k for his f reg gte on 17s with 90k....

*scratches head at the point hes bring up.

i was meaning p/r reg gsis with under 60k on clock can be picked up provately for 3k. just gotta be lucku!

·
Banned
4,005 Posts
i have an x20xev astra gsi and its great have raced my mates xe gsi and there was no diffrence in power i think the ecotecs are very good mines been on the rollers and got 144bhp on a standered engine. im in the prosess of fitting throttle bodies and a few other bits should be running close to 200bhp.

also i pefer the looks of the phase 2 gsi too.
around here pase ones go for aroud £2500 and the phse 2 go for around £5000 i payed £4000 for my r-reg one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.