Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the simplest way of getting this bolt out of the block without taking the engine out? the xe is in my mini and the sump bolt thats broken is between the gearbox and the sump next to the flywheel.

ta for any help.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
has it broken off flush with the surface, or below deck ? If not it will only be finger tight, and will wind out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like just the head has sheared off. Will it be tight? could I tap it open round the edges with small flat screw driver and hammer?? It's just a bit awkward to get anything in the gap between the sump and the flywheel.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
it wont be tight no. i presume you want to do this with the sump still in place ? If the sump was off it would be such a piece of pizzle.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
lol

It might have snapped the head because it has cross threaded too though, in which case it won't twist out nice and easy.

In that case, a flexishaft or small drill with an easyout, or whatever they are called attached would get it out after you chuck a pilot hole in it.

Depends as to whether it's cross threaded, or you just tightened it a bit too much ;) Been there, done that...

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
hmm, I've snapped them in the block before now with no damage to the sump. It doesn't take much on them little jobbies...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasn't cross-threaded, just over enthusiastic tightening! And its a steel sump so no cracking problems there.

Thanks for your help guys…

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
0ddball said:
naught naughty you then, 25nm is less than a 1 legged gnat could manage.
:( I know, I was too eager to whack the sump on, and didn't check the torque level... :dog:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts