Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the symtoms of brake dust inhalation?

About 5 weeks ago i did the shoes on my car and i think i inhaled the dust. This might be totally unrelated but ever since then, i keep getting blood shot eyes and constantly need to blow my nose. If i remember right, this started happening shortly afterwards.

A couple of people i have spoken to said it could be hayfever, but i have never suffered hayfever in the past. I have an appointment next week with the doctor and so have been trying to recall any possible causes..

Thanks

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Now that pads are asbestos free I don't think it's that bad, a lot of bad image is carried over old wives tale stylee. Any effects would be more likely to be long term lung/resporitary problems. Just wear a mask next time to be safe, and it's not like you do it regularly :)

Chill, it could be hayfever or a bug. Maybe just stress. I never had hayfever then one summer I had it quite bad but it's not been back since.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that richie..

Probably not worth mentioning that to the doctor then now :beer:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i used to service cars which meant inhaling brake dust alot of the time, never had those problems before, brake pads these days are harmless really, just not nice to have black bogeys when you get home!!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Sounds like hayfever to me you big fanny. :p

Being a hypochondriac myself I would have been at A&E by now. :eek:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Sounds like a coke habit to me,you haven`t had bits of your nose fall out have you??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
844 Posts
novadosed said:
i used to service cars which meant inhaling brake dust alot of the time, never had those problems before, brake pads these days are harmless really, just not nice to have black bogeys when you get home!!

i have to agree, especially with the black bogies! lmao

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I used to reline truck brake shoes and the masks we had were crap. Black bogies are deffo pretty funky.
The amoung of dust you will have inhaled doing one brake service wont harm you even if it had been asbestos based material.
Get yerself some Piriton.

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
True brake pads aren't what they used to be these days .
My old man's been a mechanic for 30 years only probably been asbestos free for probably 10 years . He and the others used masks most of the time under health and safety .

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
I remember smashing an old shed up when I was a kid that was purely made from asbestos. I remember loads of dust flying round as well. Didn't do me any harm though.

+cough+

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Theres also different types of asbestos, white and grey i think?
Its not the dust that you can see that does the harm, its the stuff you cant see.

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
StationMiek said:
I remember smashing an old shed up when I was a kid that was purely made from asbestos. I remember loads of dust flying round as well. Didn't do me any harm though.

+cough+

Asbestosis is similar to cancer, it's a late in life disease, but it's only really a concern for people have unkwowingly worked with it for years. (Power Stations etc.)

·
Registered
17,033 Posts
Asbestos, talking of which, years ago back in the 70s no one knew or cared about asbestos, I worked as a semi-skilled car mechanic and had to check rear brake linings, as part of the servicing of customer's cars, I would take out the drum out and get an air hose and blow away the dust ! check the lining for wear & tear, renew if necessary and then refit the drum, those years, ago, and smoking since, cancer has yet to find a spot to dig in.
But look at the situation now, OMG, you can't even dump it in the normal rubbish bins any items containing asbestoss, the councils will not collect rubbish if you chuck any asbestoss tiles in the bin, you have to ring a hazerdous stuff hot line for its expensive removal at your cost, I found some old asbestoss broken corrugated roofing sheets, and was told by the local council to wrap it in 10 black bags and then take it to a dedicated council tip, what a pathetic hyperbolic society we live in now, scared of a single strand of a fibre from a roof sheet, and the Health & safety executive are forcing landlords to remove then from the buildings even the residential buildings at the owner's expense, when the fact is it has been in use for over a 100 years with no harm. I garee people who worked in asbestoss factories would be vulnerable to lung damage if they breathed that dust or fibres day in day out almost half their life working with raw supplies. No one has said anything about Glass Fiber, yet it has similar structure and one day we will be banned from using Fibre glass in car bodies, PCBs etc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so my boyfriend did his brakes and I had no clue about brake dust or anything until I cleaned the lint trap. Oh yeah to top it off he moved my blanket I sleep with from the dryer in his work clothes I assume cause I ended up sleeping in it. I now have it all over and I have no clue on how to get rid of it. It's on my body and in my home. I vacuum my house daily and dry my bedding too.... My face is horrible and I believe I'm getting headaches from it being in my scalp. Help!!!

·
Registered
15,850 Posts
How old is the car he's working on?
Since 1999 asbestos has been prohibited in brake pads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts