Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been considering it for a while and done a lot of reading up on it! And now ive bought it, got quite a good deal on a second hand kit that is less than a year old. Its a wizards of nos (highpower) 100i. 11Lb polished bottle, and the minimax progressive controller. After ive used the standard 25bhp jets for a bit, i'll upgrade to 50bhp, thats as far as i want to take it for now, but thats approx 200bhp XE!
Anyone insterested in Wizards of nos stuff should look on www.noswizard.co.uk the forums there are quite good.

I want to have it installed in time for pv, although i will probably be still on the 25jets then.

quick pic:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
anyone interested in wizzards of nos bits should talk to chip 268bhp wasnt it out of a standard XE with Nitrous

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
nice one, how much did that skin you 2nd hand?

I've been interested in nos for a while too but i don't think a 1.6 would be worth nossing up, although i guess it could take it with me to my next car.

·
Banned
174 Posts
25bhp on a XE is pretty much pointless, it wont be any quicker than with basic bolt on tuning like carbs or a basic throttle bodies kit.

Replace the spark plugs with some denso iridium IK22 and once you have static tested it on 25bhp (WITHOUT the controller) id put some 50bhp jets on it straight away, once they are ok go to the 75bhp.

Using it at 75bhp for strip use i would set the minimax controller onto its max start value of 60% and minimum build time of 2 seconds.

As for the guy with the 1.6, i fitted a 75bhp nitrous kit to a nova 1.4 sr and it works lovely providing its only used at high rpm, if you try and use it at under 4krpm the 100lbft+ extra torque its trying to produce just puts out the spark (although this was on totally standard ignition some igniton upgrades would possibly allow more gas lower down) , we have been using it at 5k-7k though with no problems at all and it really does go like hell, in the same ballpark as a let, and thats just a smokey old 1.4sr with no mods to it, not even a thicker headgasket.
Its been through a few bottles of gas now quite happily, although the first bottle was on 60bhp jets while we were still setting it up.

The only thing i had to do to "tune" the engine was a little bit of igniton retard.

The client will be using the same kit on his XE nova at a later date, so its ideal for him in that its the only tuning he can do to the SR that is transferable to a XE lump.

NJ

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
hmm cool, i'd like NOS but i've got a few other tuning ideas before i do go NOS.

·
Banned
174 Posts
With the exception of:
significant increase in displacement
turbo
supercharger

nothing else will come even close to the gains of nitrous.

You could go and blow 10K on a SBD throttle bodied sexy beast of a motor but it would still have a pathetic torque curve in comparison to a standard xe with a decent nitrous kit and its life expectancy would be extremely short compared to the nitrous one too.

Nitrous is extremely expensive to refill when you are using 100bhp+ but then again so is the maintainance on a 9Krpm XE

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
refilling isn't an issue anyways i'm getting the pulse 450 intake and unichip, thats going to be the focus of my money for the time being, once thats done i am actully thinking about pricing up a turbo conversion but i'm not even going to throw that up for discussion at the time being until i have read up on it a bit more, and i've actually got the funds to do it!

·
Banned
174 Posts
If you are building it into a turbo then why bother messing around with a poncey unichip etc in the mean time?
Decide on the spec FIRST, then spend the money on only things that are listed in the final spec, anything else is just a waste of cash.

Thats just my humble opinion.

Have a nice day

NJ

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
i've been told that for a low boost setup the unichip could actually do the job assuming you get it mapped to suit - anyways its just an idea at the time being, and yes i understand what your saying about it not being good enough for the turbo - but as i've said the turbo idea is a long way off and might never happen to this engine

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
lol yeh they have changed!! moved on quite a bit since the good old 1.2 merits lol. seen your car in the other thread mate, looking great! will be good to see it at pv if your there.

nitrous junky (chip? lol!) - the kit is less than a year old. I have the original reciepts also. The minimax was only bought last september last year and has hardly been used. not bad for £440

The car has also been in the bodyshop most of this week having a few bits done. been doing quite a bit to it recently so its done for pv :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.