Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first question, may sound dumb, but how good are they?

Second question, how much have you paid for a set for a SER/SEH?

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
I think mine were around 20 bucks in halfords for my old 8v car.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Funily enough I asked in my local factors yesturday, though he didn't know exactly cos they were special order he reckoned not more than £25 quid, which surprised me. If I had the money I would have shouted sold and forced him, cos I reckon they are more. The last set I bougth were some snide Electro spark ones or something and have lived to regret it, they always felt rubbish and recently 2 broke down at the same time, I'll get Bosch ones when I get my first pay cheque at the end of the month.

Dan

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the reason I asked is I need new leads and twice have bought Halford's own brand (£35) for the king lead to burn out at the coil end within 6 months both times.

I was at a factor's today getting some brake pads for a Rover and saw some on the counter and asked. There are 2 types, most expensive is £21. I mean, they are the real McCoy, Bosch, the people who made the ignition system. So are they any good?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Bosch are the same as Halfords, they just use a better sealed boot, the cables made by the same company, I'd use the Halfords ones or ones called Pro Spark as all three are the same.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Bosch, halford they all seem as crap as each other i`ve found.

I got a decent set made up by Mel ( Brooklands ) who uses decent quality leads and i had no problems with them.

Mart.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
xx 5id xx said:
What about Magna leads, or Mega, or Spitfire leads???

you know, a bit better ones that car sports retailers sell???
car sports retailers? don't you mean max power?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Trevor, they do bosch ones in Halfords down at riverside, LET/EX were £39.99 IIRC, not sure about the ones for the 8 valve.
Been fine on the cav and astra and they're not the same as the halfords ones.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thats right, they certainly arent the same as Halfords ones! Halfords ones are meant to be direct replacement for standard GM types. Bosch leads are thicker, delivering a larger current and meant to be better quality silicon. Last time i went to Halfords to get a set of Bosch leads, they told me they dont stock them for the Corsa 1.6, and they cant even order them in!!

Dave

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
the only leads ive ever like are champion ones , as both bosch and halfords ones have always burnt out or gone brittle and brocken on my old 1.3 .

and i have no idea were to find champion leads.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yo Damon, i was going to take a trip to r-tec and ask if they do performance leads. Seeing you live in herts, i thought it might be of some use to you.

Dave

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
yeah i think they only do mega leads , which im not sure how good/bad they are!!!

r-tec is full of bits to stick on your car but nothing to make it faster .

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yeah i agree, more styling than performance. So where can i go in herts for performance bits other than the usual exhaust and induciton kits?

Dave

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
damon lagrue said:
r-teconly do mega leads , which im not sure how good/bad they are!!!.
THATS WHAT I WAS ASKING...?!
Mega Leads are sold by nearly all the car "max power" retailers ...so are they any good??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts