Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed over the last week that my boost had been creaping up ever so slightly, I intially put it down to the new Hybrid Turbo loosening up a bit. But While I was Cleaning the Engine bay on Saturday in preparation for Billing, I decided to give the pipes and vacuum hoses a good looking at.

I found to my horror that one of the vacuum hoses in the Actuator to Turbo loop circuit that has split slightly. I have no doubts that in a matter of days I would have had a major leak on my hands, my question is as my boost was creaping up and my car has had the Amal valve by-passed, would I have been looking at 0 boost or as I suspect full boost, and a potential big bang.

Thoughts??

Sort of shows that a boost guage is really essential on these cars when you have modified them from standard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The bleed valve may be cheap, but essential on mine at the moment.

Came from Turbo Dynamics Russ, can't fault it at all. I was going to do a how 2 on replacing the Turbo, but haven't got round to it yet, as it wasn't as difficult as most people believe to change one. The only thing you have to watch is that you prime it properly with oil before running it in.

I recommend getting the oil inlet connector if it isn't supplied with the new turbo, as it's threaded at both ends and such a knightmare to get out, managed it myself using 2 nuts, but one was of imperial size, a metric one wouldn't screw on all the way.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No, I meant the split pipe was a cheap bleed valve!

Cheers on the turbo tips, I have taken one off recently. How did you prime it? Take the coil lead off and turn the engine over?
Did you pre-fill the turbo too?

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Cheep bleed valve eh?! ;)

Just as well you know what you are doing Martin.
Expect most other folk would've just driven it on regardless.

Where did you get your hybrid again?
Gav at Wallaceperformance is organising one for me today, an S144 from Turbo Technics (thx notnormal and JS)

Cheers
Russ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I squirted a bit of oil into the turbo with an oil can, yes I did crank the engine with the coil disconnected to prime the Turbo.

Also before connecting the oil inlet pipe, I put it in a clear plastic bag, got my girlie to crank the engine over and made sure only clean oil came out. Then connected and primed as above. Then ran it for about 5 minutes before moving it anywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.