Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ello guys ;)

I want to colour-code my car, handles and such, what's the best way to do this?
Should I get the bits from a scrappy that are the same colour, or is it worth getting the handles and stuff that I already have coloured?

Also.... those rubber strips on the doors... is there an easy way of getting them off and making it look ok? I don't really like them haha but if it's hard then they can stay there!

And the go-faster stripe has to go - any ideas how to get that off quickly and easily?

Cheers in advance!

Mads :D

·
Registered
26,533 Posts
Ive personally got things like new door handles from a scrappers and taken them to a bodyshop to paint to ensure a good finish.

if you can find ones that are a similiar colour to yours then thats always best, otherwise any will do really.

If you do find some that are the same colour as your car, chances are it will be different anyway due to damage from the sun /salt etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
get bits from a scrappy, give them a good sand and clean, get some plastic primer give them a good coat, sand them a little then spray the colour you want and finally use laquer if required.

for the bumb strip look here http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56581
I asked this question not so long ago and this is what people told me.

keep us informed
:beer:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Or to do it on the cheap;

Remove your handles (perhaps one at a time to keep it simple!)
Dissmantle them as best you can (easier to paint separate parts)
Smooth them a bit with sandpaper
Give them SEVERAL coats of plastic primer (Good primer is essential to get the paint to stick!)
Give them SEVERAL coats of final paint colour
Leave to dry for at least a day!
If you can, give them a little polish and buff up to protect the final coat.
Reassemble and refit.

If you want to drive the car every day it's worth getting some from a scrappy so you can remove and refit painted ones in one go.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Doh! Beaten to the post by bleep_ld!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh noooo I mean the rubber strips on the doors.... not the bumpers...

So far the best suggestion is a credit card and a hairdryer haha

and plenty of t cut after!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
yep, you can use the card to carefully slice off most of the glue and the heatgun makes it easier to pull the strip off - but it takes time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Davo said:
yep, you can use the card to carefully slice off most of the glue and the heatgun makes it easier to pull the strip off - but it takes time.
LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME... its taken me 2.5 days to get about 1meter of my door... took most of the paint with it.

been told that very very hot water to soak the glue bits then leave it a bit, then use a heat gun and a hard surface like a card
finally lots of t cutt to get the bits off and give it a shine.
you might had to sand the areas off that you do the work on and give it a lick of paint if it goes wrong....
so take time a dont rust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
er..... think I will either get it done by a pro or just leave it then!

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
71 Posts
to remove the door strips all u do is heat the glue behind them gently (untill it just burns ur fingers to touch them) then pull the strip off. to get the residue off that the glue leaves either use thinners (if its origional paint on the door) or heat it up again and use a wet cloth to rub it off. took me about 30 minutes to do 4 doors on my car and it makes the car look so much better / smoother:D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I had the strips on my cavalier and it took me much less than a day 2 take them off, my bastard fingers were hurting from the hairdryer 2!!!

Wor of advise, if u do use a hairdryer, try and do it when no-ones around, as they were intended for drying your hair!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts