Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thinking really, when you do an oil change how do you do it, warm the car up then change the oil or do it when its been stood for a while so the oil is cold.

the reason behind the question is because when the engine/oil is hot, its all round the engine so there is still old oil in the engine, but when it is cold the oil has had a chance to drain back to the sump so it can all be drained out.

ill stop waffling now cos im bored

G

·
Do you have to drain it??????

Mine drains itself and has a little light on the dash that tells me when it needs filling up again :p

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
IN most engines, the amount of thin, hot oil around the engine should be comparable to the amount of thicker oil that you wont get out of the sump, so it makes no odds, but unless you have all day to do it, do it hot. Most diesel boat engines (sorry but its the only other thing I do oil changes in) tend to gather oil in the head like some of the vaux diesels, so you get more of the old oil out if you do it when cold. Easy answer is to try it both ways, and see which give a greater volume of oil, the way that lets more oil out is better for your engine.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
lee may said:
Do you have to drain it??????

Mine drains itself and has a little light on the dash that tells me when it needs filling up again :p
Isnt this call rust protection for vauxhalls :confused:

sb_scottmonkey said:
Same here, so i can have lunch while it's draining, usually empty by the time i finish eating!
u either have a little sump on ur motor or u dont eat enough :p

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I set up the ramps then take the car out for a blat so it's boiling (figuratively speaking) then staight on the ramps and leave ot 30mins to drip dry.

There's always sraight 20w flushing oil, that's not so bad then ;)

·
Banned
4,005 Posts
run the car up to norm temp then add a engine fulsh run for another 15mins then drain out oil till it somes comeing out.then remove bottom part of my sump and wash out then re-lseal it replace bung rubber seal change oil filter then top it back up. also fill oil filter and oil seal befor fitting. if i have the time i leave it over night.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.