Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best engine management system for my xe nova? I have been looking at the alpha kit which includes throttle bodies and management for £1500

The engine spec is

- c20xe
- Polish and ported head
- 2049cc with maul pistons
- Lightened and balanced flywheel and crank
- Uprated rod bolts

The engine has just been rebuilt and run in.

Im not looking to spend thousands, i just wana get a bit more out the engine.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
personally I'd go for a management with a user-accessible and well known mapping option - alpha-weber ECUs are only mappable by dealers iirc.

MBE,DTA and Emerald are all good ECUs with plenty of aftermarket knowledge.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers :)

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
On spec versus price, gotta be wolf, and it works with turbos/nitrous etc too if you need that later on.

But on ease of fitment in terms of base maps available etc DTA/MBE, so it depends on what you are after.

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
I dont because the megasquirt spec is ****e in terms of the ease of programming.
Spec refers to the whole package, including the very nice in car display with the wolf.

Plus not everyone wants to have build their own ecu first megasquirt stylee!

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
nope sorry i know a whizz with megasquirt so wideband mapping is a doddle, and it has display for everything as he gets all the addon kits as well
not bad for 99 quid

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
I dont think its fair to suggest an ECU to someone else on the basis that you have a mate who knows a lot about them, as he probably doesnt and therefore would be in a very different position.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
wasnt suggesting anything, hes never going to go for mega, it was purely a value for money comment as it can do anything you need for the hundred quid mark. cant knock that.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Like he probably doesn't know much about about Wolf, as not many tuners do! ;)

Megasquirt is undeniably the best value for money, if you're into DIY things.

MBE and Emerald are about the best next, but the DTA is a bit better, although slightly more expensive. At least with Emerald mapping is very cheap, although if you go local, DTA and MBE can be mapped pretty cheaply nowadays too. Generally people don't like mapping systems that they havne't worked with much.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
chip have you got any pics of the in car display with the wolf system?

rodgerq

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Brian_S said:
Like he probably doesn't know much about about Wolf, as not many tuners do! ;)

Megasquirt is undeniably the best value for money, if you're into DIY things.

MBE and Emerald are about the best next, but the DTA is a bit better, although slightly more expensive. At least with Emerald mapping is very cheap, although if you go local, DTA and MBE can be mapped pretty cheaply nowadays too. Generally people don't like mapping systems that they havne't worked with much.

Brian, ANY tuner would be happy to map a wolf ecu, it comes with extremely easy to use software.

Its not just a display, you can map it from there too if you want, but its easier done with a laptop and the software provided.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
They're more likely to say, who? .... and then umm and arrr a bit...

It is a bit better to stay in the mainstream, or already know someone who can map for you. I would suggest ringing around local tuners that you trust, and ask them what their favoured system is.

It needs to be people you trust for an honest opinion though, not someone who will sell you the highest profit unit!

MBE, DTA and Emerald are mapped by most people nowaday's. tbh I have no idea about Wolf, never really heard much about it.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
chip,

do you know how much the wolf 3d ecu and hand controller cost? Had a look on there website but it appears they have just moved, and so the site is a bit empty at the mo.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.