Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

Beeping sound coming from engine. Syncs with red light flashes above gear stick.

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dom 
#1 ·
Hi there.

TL;DR - Had 2003 Astra for 2 months. Suddenly started beeping. Seems to be alarm related. Help!

------------------

I'm a new driver. My first car is a Vauxhall Astra 2003, 1.6. 93k miles.

Had it for about 2 months now and it's been running great. However about an hour ago, while leaving work to go for lunch, the car struggled to start after turning the key in the ignition.

Immediately the red light above the gear stick (the light that flashes when the alarm is armed) started flashing and a beeping sound accompanied this flashing. The beeping seemed to follow no obvious pattern. Sometimes it would beep three times in a row every 5 seconds, then sometimes it would change to 1 beep 3 seconds apart.

I initially thought maybe the battery was low, even though there was no battery light on the dash. So started driving to charge the battery.

I then noticed that the radio's clock had reset to 00:00 - 01/01/1970. So was then even more convinced it was battery related. Funnily enough though the radio played fine, I didn't need to input any code which I believe normally happens when the battery dies causing the radio to reset.

The beeping continued my entire drive.

When I had returned to work I sat in the car for a while trying to figure it out, googling the issue and unfortunately not finding anything similar. While doing this I noticed that once the doors where locked the beeping would only happen when I moved in the car. If I stayed perfectly still the beeps wouldn't happen. With consistency, every time I moved my head it would beep.

So now I think it's something alarm related. I was given the alarm fob when I bought the car and I used it for about 2 weeks until the battery in it ran out and it stopped working. I haven't yet replaced the batteries and have just stopped setting the alarm.

Sorry for the massive post guys but I wanted to be thorough. Hope you can help :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the remote battery replaced, see if using the fob stops the issue. If not then disconnect the main battery for 10 mins or so, see if that does a reset.

It could just be that with the voltage droop when you started the car it confuddled the alarm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.