Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment my car is off the road due to lack of insurance. For some unknown reason, over a period of about 2 weeks the battery is draining itself and goes flat.

I have tried different batteries and one of the batteries i have tried i know is ok.

The only thing i have in the car which is not there as standard is:
Thatcham Immobiliser,
Alarm and immobiliser,
Pioneer Head unit and pair of 6*9's, and a pair of 8" co ax speakers.

I start the car every few days and drive it about 500 yds just to keep the cobwebs away, and i leave it idle for about 10 minutes after just to make sure the battery gets a quick charge.

Please help its driving me mad.

thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I had the same sort of problem battery going flat all the time and with the help of a meter to check the battery drain I found it was my boot light playing up that was doing it. good way to check pull out a fuse check the drain and so on till you find the one.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never thought of doing that. Thanks will get a meter and try and see whats up. Never thought about the bulbs either.

Funny how sometimes little things solve irritating problems.

Cheers GLSi

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not driving the car very much at all really at the moment, just 500 yds every few days to keep it happy.

Could that still be the alternator. Oh actually, i have just remembered, on the lcd dash the battery indicator shows about 13.5 - 14v so i guess it is charging the battery ok. What else could it be apart from maybe electrics or a bulb playing up somewhere?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yeah, that`s all very well having the voltage there but what about the current???

Bear with me a mo, a car battery, 12v yeah?? and what about one of those lighter/keyfob remote batteries, 12v yeah?? but why won`t the keyfob battery start ya car ...... no current that`s why!!

So OK you`re getting 13-14v but if you`ve got a bit of 5h1t on one of the connections somewhere between the alternator and the battery you may well get the voltage you`re looking for but no `Oomph` behind it (so to speak) so I woul reccomend before you go replacing batteries and alternators willy-nilly remove, clean and apply some copper grease to ALL connections between the battery and alternator and see how you go from there :D :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
had same prob found it was the boot light switch (the bracket was bent and therefore didn't switch off), another problem I had was **** connections on the alternator (but I suppose if your car has been off the road then this wouldn't realy apply of your motor).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.