Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be refurbing a set of wheels soon, and rather than using halfords cans, I am buying myself a compressor and accessory kit, including spray gun; simply because the equipment isn't all that expensive, and I'm sure I will get a better finish from a gun over a rattle can, lol.

Anyway, what sort of paint should I be looking to buy to paint a set of wheels for instance?
I don't really want to be mixing anything, or sticking additives in etc, I just want a simple primer, a nice bright metalic silver, and a lacquer. Where can I get just this?

Thanks, Andrew.

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Im not 100% sure mate, but i think powder coating wheels is better, as when new tyres etc are put on, the machines can chip the edges if its rattle canned!

Only £25 a wheel up here to be sand blasted and powder coated!!

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
you'll have to mix stuff no matter what.
primer you have to mix up,as it wouldnt go hard...
same with lacquar,

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
cellulose primer
paint and thinners
1k lacquer

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i can't just get a pot of paint for automotive applications, spray it on, and chuff a bit of lacquer over it? :(
I have looked at powdercoating, but I would rather do it myself to hone my skills etc.

Can somebody perhaps point me towards a general guide for mixing a primer, basecoat, and topcoat please?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
paints come with their own instructions. generally 2k paints are 3 parts paint : 1 part hardener. thinned paints are usuall 1:1 paint to thinner. 1k lacquer ive never used, but will be this summmer because I'm not gonna inhale xylene again using a half mask and trip out for a month. ask for the spec sheet/mixing sheet/hazmat sheet and get a halfface mask (£15)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one - doesn't sound too difficult then.

Next question then, is where can I buy paint. Are there any good places online which sell and deliver, or any well known suppliers in either the East Midlands or Yorkshire? Bearing cost in mind - because I'll probably mess it up anyway! lmao

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would get them stone bake enamelled, but if you want to do it your self...
You will need etching primer for alloy metal, spray this first. (If you don'y etch it your paint will fall off, celly primer alone is no good)
Then a silver alloy finish, B005 colour is OK, either 7 or 9 is the brightest high gloss metallic, but it takes time to flash of due to its high gloss,
then laquar it.
You can buy the paints from VRS in derby, but unless your wheels are fairly flat, like some merc 8 holes I did for a coupe, then its tough work, I would sooner pay someone else after doing the merc coup 8 holes, and there falt!!!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
cwm lad said:
whats quality of paints like at paints4u? i had paint from auto-paint b4 and their so called magnetic blue was nothing like it
I use auto-paint for my paints, since i had a great colour match off them before, but mine is a non-metallic colour.

I use paints4u mainly for equipment and stuff, but i did get some alloy wheel silver paint, and that was good.

Getting a good colour match is difficult, and different shops have different succes rates with different colours. I used my local car paint store when i had a VW, and they matched the paint exactly. However, when i got some Vauxhall paint off them, the match was terrible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts