Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
I may have a problem,oops!

I decided to make sure the axle was half an inch more towards the back of the car so it lines up with the bodykit which has always annoyed me..just half an inch...don't ask me how as i surely measured 100 times but i ended up going more than half an inch and now i'm an inch the other way FML! everything is tacked on and perfectly square which is good so i don't know if i should readjust it or just adjust the bodykit to suit...hmmmm decisions

EDIT: I did go the right way but because there are no longer any spacers i think it changed the angle of the axle which has moved it back if ya get what i mean...****
This was from before i removed spacers etc

·
Registered
493 Posts
all tacked in now, nice. good job fizzeh boy.
just needs final welding now does it, to make it all solid and complete ?

itl be way easier to chop an inch out the back bumper both sides, to make it match, rather than undo all your hard work, and have to start over again.

in theory, having the wheel closer to the outside of the car like that, improves handling, so its not all bad :)

if i were you, id probably rip that whole body kit off, go back to standard bumpers, and fit a basic wide arch kit, over the new wheel location. itll look mean like that too, if the body of the car is slim, and the wheels/arches punch out the side :) how you have it at the moment, the whole things wide isnt it, front to back, with those chunky skirts and bumpers.
upto you tho, your car. you could just chop an inch out, and keep it exactly how it is. cheapest option too.

hows the front end doing, the engine mounts, and gearbox mount, and tunnel plates ?
sorted the steering out any better ?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I did a thing :( ... i thought it would be a good idea to try and relocate the mounts an inch further back and failed totally...now the plates dont line up and they are nowhere near the car and threaded one of the captive nuts and bolt as i was doing everything alone like usual i had to hold up my jig at both ends plus bolt it up and try line up the box mounts at the same time bla bla and they kept falling on me and you can imagine the ****ing mess and my anxiety was high and i have gave up and went home.
I am getting sick of not having any help and realise i cant do it all alone,its nearly impossible...i am seriously considering giving up, my anxiety was really bad today which didnt help, fml.

All i can really do is try and make completely new boxes.

On another note the plan was to take off the arches and use bolt on wide arches instead,fat ones and maybe get spacers to push wheels out even more...as for engine mounts etc i havent been able to look at em cos cars been on the stands at the rear waiting for the guy to weld that never turns up but now he has nothing to weld after today... but after today i dont even know anymore, I want to get the car done but dont think i can.

·
Registered
493 Posts
damn.
morale is low at the moment then i take it.
cars can be bastards sometimes. especially stuff like this where you need 3 arms to hold stuff in place, whilst weld.
you could try using loads of blocks, to hold the diff up, and rope & cable ties, to hold it sideways, in the position you need.

if your plan was to fit different arches anyway, you could have left it like it was, and made it work. unlucky :(
take a few days break from it. some time to calm down.
you might regret it, if you threw in the towel and scrapped it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
yeah its taking its toll on me but this has happened many times, too far forward to go back and i just keep thinking to myself it will be worthit in the end but its surely hard...i am maybe gonna just recreate the boxes from scratch and take it fae there...tomorrows another day right!
Yeah gutted about the arch thing ha fml just my luck not even thinking straight but its done now i suppose
This is the style i was looking at for bolt on arches...i dunno size yet though and they need to come off anyway as i need new sills

·
Registered
493 Posts
thats the same type i was thinking of myself, they suit almost everything.

they seem pretty easy to fit too. just hold them in position with plenty of masking tape, whilst you drill the holes, and mounting wise, i guess you could snap some plastic rivets in the holes, to minimise chances of rust. maybe some silicone sealer between the 2 mating faces ?

it needs both sills does it. ah bollox, more work, lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
sure do and best part is they wont crack anymore :D i was looking into how they were fitted and its like a rivet thing with a thread in the middle that allen bolts can bolt onto but i dunno what they are called.
And if weathers better tomorrow imma remake them damn boxes..NO RETREAT,NO SURRENDER!

And yeah sills are a mess and i need a couple patches right at the rear,i will try remember to take pics tomorrow...absolute mess :(

**I think they are called rivnuts?**

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Had a sleep, went up today with a fresh head.
This is the rust i was talking of...a couple patches sort this bit out and the sills aint all that bad apart from where the sills meet.

After this i took off the boxes and cleaned up all the tacks and i will put them back where they were previous and just redrill the captive nut holes and move em where they actually need to be, i now have the boxes where there are no gaps except at the top there is one large gap but i can easy plate it up...I am feeling a lil more positive today :D see what tomorrow brings

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Today has a lil bit more done, new sills have arrived and two new rear tyres ordered...i checked some reviews and went for some Uniroyal RainSport 3 245/35 R19 Y (93) to try out.

I got the plate for the end of the chassis leg and the plate between that and the box (the thin floor section above) all in 3mm cut and tacked in place...Also the bolt plates are tacked on and now line up and wheels are perfectly centered in the wheel well.

Also i tapped out where the omega damper bottom bolts went as they were threaded and now i have some fat high grade bolts to hold my coilover bottom bolt in :D

So pleased with todays progress, might not seem much but for me it was.
Hopefully the nextdoor neighbour will come through real quick maybe weekend and get it all welded in...some bits need wee patches to meet with areas i know but we will get this all done. Then i think its onto the sills and then repair that hole at the back there down beside the box.

Oh before anyone asks,i coated EVERYWHERE with weldthrough primer like behind every nook and cranny and also the back of every plate welded on and the inside of the boxes etc so i hope this will help with corrosion resistance?
When all is welded i was going to zinc primer everything and seam seal and then paint heavy duty something and then underbody coat stuff...any ideas on what is best to use...I surely want the back end to outlast me

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Ah glad to see migwebs back up and running again....I have had a busy week and now the wheels are super straight and centered and also the boxes are 90% welded in...i get the steel to put new boot floor in next week i think its here yeehaa...i will try get axle off and things this weekend and get some pics and start cleaning up the welds and priming etc ready for seamsealer when the floor goes on

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Today i got the rear support bar tacked on and removed the axle yet again.
Grinded out the rusty parts down by the sill but more to go.
Wirewheeled the welds that have been done and zinc primed em for now but wtf am i supposed to do to neaten that bubblegum up...im scared to grind incase i go through it....i mean it is solid but damn!
I grinded down the plate around the captive nuts but i think all i can do is seamseal and paint to hide all of that right? ANY advice would be great!

Next job will be the sills and patch plates at the back there next to the boxes

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Thank you,its a shame the welds spoil it but what choice do i have for this part... and he has a gas mig believe it or not and he has been a welder his whole life...his job is a welder!...then i saw this and now i question everything.
Also i planned to start doing them sills last sunday myself and i was excited about getting them done but as i was leaving my house with them in their box i slashed my left hand open through the edge of the box where part of the sill was sticking out slightly and it cut through to the flexor tube near my thumb and i havent been able to do much since so im so frustrated at the moment...i had an attack plan and now cant proceed until i heal :( grrrrr

·
Registered
493 Posts
i think your tack welds looks better than his.
maybe you should do it all yourself, looks like he's rushed that, and just blasted the welder along.
seam sealer tidys the joins up nicely, doesnt matter so much what they look like, but obviously needs to be strong enough.

ahh piss, thats no fun.
sometimes those panels can have razor sharp edges. sliced myself on a few occasions too. im sure a lot of people have done same thing.
hopefully hasnt done any damage to your finger/thumb movement.
rest up for a bit, till your good again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I agree...from now on i will be doing everything.
I think seam sealer is the only way....everything i can batter with a heavy hammer and seems solid so should be okay to cover...i just wonder about the structural mot thing i gotta do?

My thumb is outta its holder and working fine just tender and starting to heal...may even be good to do stuff next week. I did order chainmail style glove things to put under my rubber gloves which is a smart move if ya ask me

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
haha will spear the ****ing thing soon...nah its gloves for metal handling butchering and stuff like that...im so accident prone and get ptsd everytime i look at the box i aint taking no risks :D

161 - 180 of 215 Posts