Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
yeah there sure is,i was looking at a forum of "before & after" and literally everyone was just new alloys!
lol what were you rolling in? i hope you showed em up?
Everyon loves a vag eh,usually its good to be surrounded in them but 4 is a lot :ROFLMAO: take that how however you read it

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Just checking in here as i have had a lot of real world nonsense going on and it has been a while.

My roofing and joists are here so i will hopefully have a roof up and then a workbench so i can empty my tools out of the astras boot and actually crack on for once...im super excited about it!
in the mean time i have done a few of the parts that have been frying my brain for the longest time.

Firstly are the sections of the sideskirts where i cut off the old moulded on arches that left large gaps. Instead of fibreglassing them back solid, I decided to make plastic cover plates made from my daughters old storage drawers that unbolt via rivnuts but at the moment only screwed on and need a few more.
Within these removable sections is access to huge bolts and brackets that support the skirts, never mind using crap self tappers or rivets,these things are beefy! I also have two rivnuts inside the doorjamb for a lil extra.
I have covered em in a lil carbon wrap accent to match the carbon bonnet when i re-laquer it that is.
Originally i started with metal ones but they were clunky,heavy and awkward on the curves of the skirts. The plastic was easy cut,shaped and it flexible.

Next was to tackle my most pondered area which was where the extra wide bumper met the extra wider then it used to be arch flare. It has been frying my brain but ALAS i think i sussed it.
I cut the arch down to flow with the bodyline of an original bumper and then used metal and welded together two plates that flow with both the curve of the overarch and the sweep up of the bumper into where the original arch would have been on the side profile. It was complicated to look at and work out for me with so many angles to take into consideration but such a simple thing when complete.
I then made little dimple things to match the ones on the arch to bolt the piece on,they are a lil rough but of course i need to finnesse and bodywork these as the metal i used was beat up before i used it also.
Underneath these plates i will have huge fixing bolts and washers for the bumper which will be stronger than fibreglassing brackets into the bumper like what would have been.
It may not look like much work but to me it has been a fair effort on my brain.

I also lined up the headlights and fixed them in nice and straight as a couple of the top brackets were broken and i can't fix em(I tried allsorts trust me) I just need to sand and polish the lenses now.
The next thing i wanna tackle is the front bumper as it needs fixed after some bint hit me in B&Q then drove off the very last day it was on the road whilst i was in store.
Just like all the other parts its aged and twisted etc so this shal be fun..I wanna keep experimenting with splitter ideas,so if you have any please inspire me,i have a few more ideas i reckon
And remember there is alot of work still to do around those skirts they need trimming and filling

·
Registered
524 Posts
lol what were you rolling in? i hope you showed em up?
Everyon loves a vag eh,usually its good to be surrounded in them but 4 is a lot :ROFLMAO: take that how however you read it
i was in a big bus toyota mpv.
no showing up in that car, its automatic, and heavy.... takes about 3 weeks to get it upto 60, haha.

those front arch joins came out better than i thought they would. pretty smart.
better off having them split like that, rather than a permanent join. makes maintenance way easier, if you ever need to pull bits apart.
monster cooling ducts, on the rear tyres there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
lol fair enough. Yeah i was really worried about them looking really weird but i'm glad you approve,now i am sure they are great with second opinion n all. yeah the whole point of this redesign/newish kit or whatever to call it is for easy maintenance and less cracking etc with the old moulded arches etc and scraping tarmac with the pan is old days nonsense too,a lil bit higher/non tucked ride height is fine by me. I started stripping down and sorting out the V6 loom lastnight and it's quite theraputic job to be fair i like electrics side of things. I will try keep updates coming but as of yet still no roof up :( so i;m holding back as i need to roll car out to build roof so don't wanna strip back axel to tidy it up as when i do guaranteed it will be the day the guys wanna do the roof

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Quick update

My old center panel with the fibreglassed tv in it was all cracked with getting thrown around the garage over the years plus i want a tablet in the dash instead of a stereo unit and also gonna make nicer looking heater controls,i mean come on vauxhall they look horrendous.
I used metal and it sits nicely on the lip that the original center sat on and i have 5 magnets attached around the plate so it holds nice and can be removed with ease to allow ample access to wiring behind it. Oh also i will just keep the heater vents at the sides and block off the center ones again.
I covered it with the same wrap as the other detail parts.the grain ended up going on the wrong direction even after checking the gear and ashtray parts i already wrapped fml i will redo later but i also fancied up the dials to match with the 4 yellow rims to match my 4 yellow rims haha i am all about the details.
Also sorted the seat rail for driver seat and bunged that in...when i finsh the rear section of thecentre console i will get matching rears but for now i don't mind them being scuffed back there.

Also here is a better view of the sideskirt fixings i made in the last post

The next large problem was making sure the front bumper was secured properly to the car before i started messing with that damage and also trimming so wheels don't touch.
I made some metal brackets and bolted in with fat bolts and its hidden unde the arch and the front piece i made last week or so. I am well pleased it worked out nicely and again practical and accessible

Now with the bumper neatly tucked in all the places it should be i can fix that badly fitting part under the drivers light that is lower towards the grille and finess all the other edges.
I am toying with the idea of creating actual functional air holes in the center as that V6 gets superduper hot in the bay and i always wondered how to address it...this should help and also i think it fits the style but more opinions are required as i am not fully certain it looks good. If i was to do it i wouldn't just cut a hole like most but i would try and make a thickness to it if you understand what i mean like 1/2" deep lip to the inside of the holes?!

I ended up drilling the most simple of holes above the crash bar to fix bumper on ended up taking huge chunk out my hand,same place i sliced open on the sills last year...The sharp bit that the chuck cogs around ended up going straight down through it at full speed so i am missing chunk and it burnt it around the wound omfg i tell you this because it was horrific and i panicked and my wamen said i ran in the house saying "i have a big bad booboo this time" therefor thought i was joking. I don't even remember and i don't think i have used the term "booboo in my life" haha plonker.
But savlon, plasters, electric tape and vented dirt protection glove will have to do for now.

Final thing i did was needed new bulbs so trying some LED 3000K bulbs and they are afa bright in the garage...hopefully they don't dazzle or i will have to change em but i read alot about the led and i think should be fine?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Heyo, haven't been updating in a while as have been busy building this garage mainly and fixing the house. I only have a few pics for now.
The metal roof is up with joists n all.
I started work on the back wall today before i remove the old gate/fence...I wanna save that tree as its affa bonnie in summer haha.
I got all the carcasses and both worktops,all brand new with doors and 6 strip lights aswell as 3 solid 6 panel doors and some slat boards, all in exchange for removing a large kitchen extraction in an old market that has now closed down for good. I had a couple hours to grab as much as i could as there are units who left all sorts behind. so went bananas until i couldn't pack any more into my hearse...thank **** i had it!
well over £1000 of stuff,cost me a parking ticket but imma appeal it regardless
I ran power from house so now i have lights and sockets!
I also got a huuuge jawed vice from my partners dads basement,it pulls out for miles.
Sooo i just need to get some pegboard to put tools up onto and i'm sorted. Waited many years for something like this to work out of,alot still to do but very usable and pleased so far.
I also have a wee thinking corner which i will have 2 chairs in and a proper table eventually.
Also It is the first time the Astra has seen daylight in ages whilst all this is going on...I quite like how its coming on personally.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
thank you,thank you :D yeah it is looking sad but i took it up to the old garage so away to put the V6 back in next week and have more updates i hope, i'm planning on smoothing out the bay and tucking everything i think

221 - 228 of 228 Posts