Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More Weight loss

lmao Ok well maybe not but that is part of it.

A little over 2 years ago I cut my sunroof in half to fit my roll cage (a mod latter to become popular form a weight loss point of view) now I decieded that it still weighed too much. So when I was going to bin an old bonnet I had a bright idea.

New Pannel Bonded in Place

I also fitted my new alloy suspension tops and ATB diff the fitting of the diff turned out to be a very easy 1 hour max job and most of that was filling the box with oil.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The tops are ace, the steering is much smoother and direct, as for being too harsh for road use, I think not ya jelly spined nancy's. The car isnt any worse over bumps than it was ;)

The diff is quite amazing too. A damp track day just a day after fitting proved to be the ideal testing ground. The increase in grip is unbelievable it's transformed the car.

The car is now soooo much more fun (something I didnt think possible)

:D :D :D

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
ok, whats the gen with the cage and the sunroof then? Would I need to remove the headlining in order to fit a cage in my car?

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah as the safety devices cage (as with most others) is ment for a shell without a sunroof.

Unless you modify the cage.

A

·
0 Posts
my head hurts! that bloody video camera bracket keeps attacking me :(

the bonded in panel is very nicely done. I'm sure Orange golf man would be proud lmao

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
batfink said:
so how do you cut the back half off the sunroof?
Once you prise the steel middle part off the runners are only aluminium and a hacksaw makes light work of em.

:)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
do the alloy tops not put more stress on the turrets?
damaging the chassis?

p.s. you have perspex windows allround? how much were they?:beer:

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
paul maxwell said:
looking good kenny,

glad you like the top mounts.

soooo whens the next spin in tha mota...?
dunno mate, are you going to crail??

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
whitie said:
do the alloy tops not put more stress on the turrets?
damaging the chassis?

p.s. you have perspex windows allround? how much were they?:beer:
Makes sense that you will get higher stress as there is less give in the mounts.

I dont think chassis damage will be a problem as the spring and tyre will give long before the shell.

Yup sides and back are all perspex, I got em 2nd hand from a chap who hadn't got round to fitting them and I can remember what I paid for em.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
So when are we gona see this new super light bonnet fitted ?

Is it just gona be a thin bit of cut perspex held down with bonnet catches ?

:D

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
Very nice WeeKenny :D

looks like a blast. Very nice sunroof plug. I've some some ally here ready to rivet on, but that looks like a good plan... and I do have a fibreglass bonnet to go on.... hmmmmmm :cool:
:beer:

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lmao

The bonnet was offered up to the gods in return for loss of the sunroof. It's remains were chucked in a skip.

Well actually :eek: I've been too lazy to take it down the dump yet so it's still lying in my garden. :rolleyes:

:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts