Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can get the sound deadening that goes under the carpet in the front footwells??

The car had a leak and the previous owner ripped it all out and chucked it..he didn't even fix the leak... now i've fixed it i want to replace it.

Is this something i have to get from vauxhall or can i get sheets of it from a 3rd party supplier?

Is there something else i can use as a substitute? i really want to replace it as all my carpet and mats have gone out of shape where it's not there..

[ 18-07-2001: Message edited by: James G ]

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had this problem althougth it was me that had to rip it all out cos the previous owner preferred puddles in his car...must of liked the smell.

Anyway....go to a scrapyard and get it out an old one. If you can't find any that way, what i did was get one of those "roll mats" that you get for camping. Know what i mean?...its that sponge mat thing you put your sleeping bag on. You're now probably saying "Oh yeah....of course" to yourself - ingenious, huh? Its just the ticket.

I was able to dry most of my front padding out but that in the back had perished. I know it'll need to be a bit 'deeper' for the front and shaped a bit but i'd cut it and build the right thickness with layers. Its about 10mm thick and i saw some in Poundstretcher of all places for £3.99. You'll have to 'jerry-build' it yourself but thats the fun, right?, and it'll be about £100 less expensive than going to vauxhall.

Oh, and yes i was in poundstretcher to take advantage of their economy range of fashion clothing...and to meet people obviously.

Oh and also, i spent ages actually searching for something that would do the job - DIY shops, building & plumbing shops, Garden Centres etc and couldn't find anything better so i can save you the trouble there. Its either this, scrappers or vauxhall.

Begbie

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate

I can shape the passenger side no probs as the carpet has not misshaped yet and i can use the carpet as a guide

is the drivers side symetrical to the passengers as the carpet is well misshaped where i've been using the car....

Does it make much difference to road noise?

[ 18-07-2001: Message edited by: James G ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.