Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi, I have possibly the only mk3 Astra rally car competing in the uk at the moment which does not have a front subframe.

It has a similar set up to the Cavalier pictured in this thread.

Shell was built by Harry Hockly motorsport in the 1990's, I am told they only built 6 to my spec, 4 of which went abroad and 2 in uk.

However the other uk one was apparantley written off and not replaced...

Interesting: any picture?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw this astra at a classic touring car event a few years back:

But don't know who built it or what spec it is.
The astra was build by motorsport developments (msd) for opel motorsport to contest 93 south african and portugese championships which im sure they won! Msd also went on to build the vectra challenge cars for vauxhall and works btcc contracts for honda and peugeot.
Astra spec was 285bhp swindon engine,6 sd xtrac 206 box,pilbeam suspension etc
(More than) a few years late, I know, but that is one sweet trip down Amnesia Lane. :)

I'm South African, and I remember these cars well. They were Opel's works entries in the 1993 and 1994 Stannic SATCAR (later, AA Fleetcare Super Touring) championship. Over here, they were driven by Michael Briggs (who later shared a Cavalier with John Cleland for the 1995 Touring Car World Cup) and Grant McCleery (a former SA Motocross champion).
The Astras did indeed win the SA drivers' and manufacturers' championships in 1993, but a run of bad luck caused them to take second place to the works BMW team in 1994. Opel Motorsport won the SA championship again in 1995 with the Vectra (for this year, the car used by Grant McCleery was actually John Cleland's 1994 BTCC car, updated to 1995 spec).

The car in the picture above is a bit of an odd bird - it has the 1994 rear spoiler, but the 1993 front end and rear bumper.

I used to watch these cars in action at Kyalami and Zwartkops whenever I could, and on TV otherwise. Until now, I thought the South African race cars were unique in the world - I had no idea identical cars had been campaigned in Portugal as well.

There are a number of Youtube videos that show the SA cars in action. Go to Youtube, and search for '1993 / 1994 south african touring car championship'.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts