Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that some uk mk3 used for race/rally are equipped with non standard subframe but with something very special and very strong
i dont know if this parts was made officially from vauxhall racing or builded from any team
anyone could post any pictures, please?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If they are anything like the cavalier/vectra and ... touring cars, then I can tell you more than likely it was built by whoever built the car.

For vauxhall cdavalier for instance, some where built by Dave Cooke and some built by RML.

Here is a picture of mine: It is a Dave Cooke one:

Everything is hand made and one off.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
That's an adjustable roll bar. The funny end turns and makes the front roll softer or harder.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Yeah, it's a blade adjuster and is like a plastic ruler - edge on it's very stuff but turned to the flat side it's quite flexible and, by adjusting the angle, it effectively alters the roll stiffness.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Do you reckon anyone would have one for sale this looks and most likely is the nuts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
have a look on racecarparts and other motosport website. It is highly unlikely though as it was handmade and only made enough for the cars in racing at the time.

I am told that mine is the only one of 2 that's left from the 1991 BTCC cars. The other one is owned by Jim Pocklington who regularly takes his to classic touring car and other similar events.

If you know a good fabricator, no reason why he won't be able to make you one. However, the costs will be huge.

I think a chap called Toby was planning on making the uprights for his replica, and the cost of making just the upright was about a grand each or thereabouts!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I saw this astra at a classic touring car event a few years back:

But don't know who built it or what spec it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The astra was build by motorsport developments (msd) for opel motorsport to contest 93 south african and portugese championships which im sure they won! Msd also went on to build the vectra challenge cars for vauxhall and works btcc contracts for honda and peugeot.
Astra spec was 285bhp swindon engine,6 sd xtrac 206 box,pilbeam suspension etc

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
As far as I am aware the astras used a standard subframe possibly modified..

Probably like my Vectra challenge car? It uses a modified original subframe with the wishbone pick up points relocated and strengthened. They then used the Pilbeam fabricated and rose jointed lower arms!

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The inner mounting point for the wishbones on the subframe have been raised Aprox 2inches, much better than using a longer pin on the outer ball joint!

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
yeah mk3 astra works suspension looks like your pictures tom. fabricated bolt on steering knuckle/ hub (like standard nova arrangment) removes issues at the wheel end.

group A mk2 astra also raises pivot point on chassis (slightly)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi, I have possibly the only mk3 Astra rally car competing in the uk at the moment which does not have a front subframe.

It has a similar set up to the Cavalier pictured in this thread.

Shell was built by Harry Hockly motorsport in the 1990's, I am told they only built 6 to my spec, 4 of which went abroad and 2 in uk.

However the other uk one was apparantley written off and not replaced...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts