Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help. I have just gone to replace a rear broken coil spring and the actual stop at the bottom that the rubber pad sits on was missing. So I phoned local dealer and he said the part was about a fiver and was called a rear bump stop. As it was an order in part I went to the local breakers yard and managed to get one off a scrapped car. I hammered in the "new" metal bump stop as far as it would go and placed the rubber bump stop over the top and placed the new spring in and everything is back to normal. But my question is, should the metal bump stop be spot welded to the rear axle as it could potentially come out again.

thanks

·
Registered
Astra G 3.2 V6, Vectra Hearse 1.8
267 Posts
hey, i have an astra G and just replaced the top bumpstops(chassis) they were held on by about 5 spot welds,it was hard to tell as they were rotten but definitely welded and the axle side is part of the axle.
If i were you i would put a couple of spot welds or stitches on to keep it where it is as with the spring moving constant i would imagine it wont take long to slip out and that sounds terrifying at 60mph on a backroad if your spring were to pop out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, i have an astra G and just replaced the top bumpstops(chassis) they were held on by about 5 spot welds,it was hard to tell as they were rotten but definitely welded and the axle side is part of the axle.
If i were you i would put a couple of spot welds or stitches on to keep it where it is as with the spring moving constant i would imagine it wont take long to slip out and that sounds terrifying at 60mph on a backroad if your spring were to pop out

Will phone up local garage and see if I can get it sorted.

Thanks (y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts