Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
READ THIS PLZ gte 16v black smoke problem

astra gte been in garage for 6 week, got it out to give it a spin, and now the car has stopped idling(have to keep revving) and i get black smoke and flames from exhaust. Engine seems fine, still starts etc. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
it sounds like its overfuelling mate, check your lambda sensor, plugs, leads, airfilter.

A squirt of carb cleaner down the throttle body wont do any harm aswell!

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
yeah gotta agree with the above, is the engine management light on at all? most likely point will be the lambda if you have one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers lads it has got a lambda, and the management light is off (thankfully).......will test the lambda tomorrow (give it a whack...hehe) + get replacement.

would this effect the idling though? it all happened at same time

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, never..its a good car........have had all bodywork done, just putting on bodykit and spraying, then gonna spend money having engine regasketed etc etc, get it running mint, is there any parts around engine that could do with a change, apart from the obvious?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean...have checked bulb, i know what some people are like, have had car about a year.......been excellent, though saw a little deterioration in performance when got it, i seem to be on par with an 2.0L 8v GTE, though i might just need a tune up. Been savingengine stuff till last.

After todays worrying moment, itll be in garage till finish now....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my mate had ot for a couple of months before me........with no real problems

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
just mean make sure its got the right wire going into it and that it comes on then goes out when you turn on the ignition.
its a 16v and has the same performance as a 8v? standard 8v? that aint right, should take a look at it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive never noticed the management light to come on, never, even when first turn key. I never new this should happen.

performance wise i know i need a tune up, and with the parts im replacing, the engine should be pretty good.

what about the idle problem? how could the oxygen sensor effect the idle?

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
ignore everything else. first off get the EM light working, ask Andy K or some other leccy people. then it will tell you whats wrong.

·
Registered
18,393 Posts
naa just take yer dash out, have a look round the back, make sense of how its connected up. put up a post about the EM light in the engine section and you will get a few suggestions.
must admit i dont know as i dont run standard management so dont use the EM light.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
EM light should come on with ignition, then go off when the engine starts - sounds like the bulb has gone m8. Once fixed you will be able to get a readout of any fault codes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts