Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
little update i have the inlet pipe cut and ready for welding now. i will get a larger filter as this one is 0nly 5" so going to go for the 7"

no my rear panel was not that bad as it was only light surface rust so i just wire wheeled it down the primed painted and waxoyled over it. probably last update for a while now as i need to do the mot again as its out in a few weeks. after that i will be taking engine out and getting it rebuilt into a c20xe block with oil jets. then once thats ran in i will be fitting my garrett kit and sort mapping.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So since photobucket killed off a lot of pictures on forums and pissed off a lot of people I eventually found the interest and decided to bring this back to life with another Astra coupe project.

It's being built into a track car and have a lot of work done on it now. I just need to find a good phone app so I can upload pics as all on my phone so need to host them here someway. Currently trying Google photo app so might work...

The day I bought it. 1.8 rolling shell for €150.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
finally got all previous pics on this thread working by editing each link!

so over the last few months i decided to leave my blue coupe the way it was and build a separate track car. blue coupe has been off the road last few months due to bad weather and roads so got myself a 1.7cdti astra h daily to keep me going.

a lad i know messaged me saying he was selling an astra coupe rolling shell and was able to deliver it to me so i decided to buy it. i originally planned to build it as a cheap budget trackcar with a c20xe i had on r1 carbs and megajolt and strip it out with some handling mods but after a few weeks i decided to go all out and get a forged engine built up and fit my garrett setup and build it into a good spec track car.

first thing i did was fit some parts i already had to get a rough idea what i am aiming for.
carbon bonnet, 9x18 mo6 wheels and carbon spoiler.

time to strip it down and get rid of all possible weight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Gsi front bumper

fitting the aero catches

fitted some rs bonnet vents, bumper canards, and mad a allot front splitter.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
This is the cage i ordered and it being fitted and welded in. it is also welded to the front struts but done that last so no finished pic of it yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
new parts i ordered over the last few months.

Bc racing suspension setup, Gaz top mounts, Gripper Lsd from steveboyslim, Rnd motorsport droplinks, 12" fans for radiator.

vibra engine mounts and one blackseries powerflex one

lightweight flywheel and helix 6 paddle clutch kit, quantum fuel pump and eds rep manifold which i am no longer using.

front wishbone bushes, 24mm front anti roll bar bushes and rear beam bushes. i also have a rear whileline anti roll bar but dont think i have a pic of it yet.
plan to fit my rnd spherical bearing wishbones on this trackcar and the blackseries wishbones on my blue coupe.

corsa vxr 4 pot brembos with astra 321mm vxr discs. i am thinking of fitting this setup on my blue coupe and the yellow ksports on this trackcar.

full ploycarb set from plastics4performance. the rears will be bonded in and i want to fit some m6 button heads to make sure they will be secure. because i am making it light as possible i am gonna get some anodised alloy bolts to keep weight down.

some An fittings and braided hoses from Torques uk to use with my external fuel pump/swirl pot

new seat, very annoying that these do go out of date as i would like to compete in some sort of motorsport again in the future with this car. use to Autocross novas a few years back.

picked these rods up at a steal of 200 delivered. previous owner bought them to forge his vxr but sold car and never used them after. plan was to use them in my forged engine but i want to make sure they can handle upto 500bhp without problems.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
intercooler, radiator and oil cooler

moved rad as far forward as i could to make rook for the fans.

roof vent fitted and i started to weld in the seat rails and made a 100mm raiser for the gear stick unit (need to order a F23 gear stick) used the 1.8 one just to get an idea on height.

both seats fitted

started to fit my water meth and fuel pot setup. rough idea where it was all going.

made up some brackets

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
recently bought a highflow inlet manifold that uses a 75mm porschse throttle body. engine is being built soon with the following spec..
C20xe block
Squirters
Balancing
Ported head
Piper springs
bronze valve guides
+1mm valves
Klasen cams
vernier pulleys
Omega pistons
Fcp rods
Big ends
Mains
Headset
Headbolts
Sumpset
Waterpump
Belt kit
Nevlock seals

think thats it all.

my most recent progress is i am getting all arches undersealed and interior ready for paint along with subframe.

made some crush tubes for subframe so i can bolt my front splitter and intercooler brackets on.

blanked off the fire wall, i dont plan on refitting the dashboard and i am going standalone ecu so i will just have a tablet showing all engine info on screen. keeping the wiring at a minium so abs is gone as well and will make up a basic loom for lights, wipers etc and try make a basic heater for the windscreen
thats everything up to date now. really just paint that is slowing me down once thats all sorted and front bumper is sprayed i can start building up the car and fit everything.

·
North Western Regional Coordinator
9,554 Posts
bloody fantastic so far really enjoying these updates thanks for sharing

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks glad you like it! few more pics and some of my other cars. i have 12 days off for christmas so plan to get a good bit done! need to make up another shopping list for bits i will need like paint etc.

coupe and my 1.7cti daily estate

winter wheels

my wide arch nova project that has being going on a few years now! stripped out interior, sparco bolt in 6 point roll cage, c20xe engine with arp rod bolts, R1 carbs, megajolt ecu, kent fast road cams with vernier pulleys. F18 gearbox with a quaife 4.2 straight cut final drive and a Gripper lsd. have most part to finish the car like suspension brakes and polycarb windows so hope to get that done next summer.

this is my mid engined nova i used in autocross racing. it use to have the above c20xe engine and gearbox fitted. plan was to either fit a bike engine in the back of it but might fit a b204. it has been left to one side for a few years as gave up racing and moved onto astras so another project to get finished in the future!

lastly a few more bits for my red track car. some aero catches for bootlid and an alternator adjuster.

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts
Good to see another coupe getting converted to a track car, there awesome cars on track with only a few mods. I gutted mine and got the weight down to 1034kg and could still get another 10kgs out I reckon

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i always loved the look of the coupes and not so many of them on track so nice to be different! thats a good weight you got yours down to. if i can get to 1050kg i will be happy with that for now. would love to see it at 1000kg in the future but would probably need carbon fibre panels. i would love a carbon bootlid and outer door skins but budget wont allow for that yet haha.

update time: bought a 24mm astra twintop front arb, a full braided brake hose abs delete kit which goes from master cylinders to all 4 brake calipers and has an adjustable brake bias valve. also got a Wiechers sport front strut brace. should of made one tbh but seen on on German ebay for a good bargain so made sense to get it!parts should be delivered next week.

this shell had about 87k miles on it and after a good look around this is the only rust spot that needed attention. after grinding the surface rust back there was a small hole and some pitting so just welded a patch over it out of some 2mm to add some strength. passenger side inner arch painted and ready for body schutz. got the subframe and whiteline rear arb in primer. should be able to give them a coat of paint tomorrow. not sure on colour yet as need to see what i have!

i cut out the slam panel previously to make room for my oil cooler and to make fitting and removing engine easier. i seen some people left this out but the shell seems to flex alot without it. can easily push the chassis legs out a few mm so i decided to make a tube that can easily bolt in and out to add some strenght.

tube is 3mm thick here but i have some i think with a 2mm wall to make it a little lighter.

will look something like this just. i need to see where i am mounting it so i can weld on a bracket to bolt in onto.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
little bit done today.

perfect height to weld on some tabs to bolt oil cooler on.

new handbrake cable

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts
I reckon if my brakes were smaller, didn’t run a internal fan and removed a couple more un needed bits of metal work I’d have it at the 1000kg mark but tbh I’d rather keep what i have and at a later date look to get some GRP doors and a bonnet.

I decided to keep the abs system as tbh I think it works really well when the TC is turned off and in wet races has saved my ass a few times when late braking. Again a good bit of weight saved for you though.

Keep up the good work mate

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
No aspertions, chaps, but keeping your weight in check can also be a way of reducing overall weight, with many, many benefits if you're fond of the pies or chips or beers. I've known a few chaps who were, to say the least, grossly overweight and who spent a small fortune and many, many hours chasing a bit of power or weight saving when they could have easily lost 40kg with exercise and a decent diet - one of them was a m/cyclist so the difference would have been many times greater than with a heavier car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
i am still not sure if i should use the ksports or brembos on track. might weight them both and see whats lighter haha. i would of liked to keep the abs system but decided to get rid of everything mainly because of all the wiring an pump weight.
i think there is massive weight to be lost if i could get a light tubular rear beam setup made. it has to weigh around 15-20 kg on its own without brake setup but maybe thats a good thing to keep a bit of weight in the back end to help with traction? seen a good few people mention that the coupes are a lot better handling than the hatchbacks.

i think the wiring is one thing i have saved a good few kg on as its just a bare shell with cage so i have to make up small loom for rear lights and brake lights, indicators and front lights then wipers and power steering. still not sure what i am doing for a fan to heat windscreen. would love a heated screen but to much of a risk to take i think incase a stone chip cracks it on track. i think heated screen is nearly 300 pound. going to see if i can get some sort of 12v heater fan to help stop windscreen fogging up inside.

At the minute i am saving up for standalone ecu and looking at the Ecumaster black emu. it has launch control and boost per gear as well as anti lag plus i can run a tablet as my dash to monitor engine via bluetooth

(trying to find out more about antilag with a z20let. i heard its hard on the turbo and exhaust valves so one reason why i wanted to get rec valves so more reliable) anyone had expierence with anti lag? does it actually help that much on track?

i could definitely do with loosing 5-6kg! new years resolution :lmao:

Got my 24mm astra twintop front anti roll bar yesterday. weather is really holding me up with painting anything lately as there is so much condensation in my shed. everything is damp and cold :face:

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts
I’d check which you can get the best pads for as pointless having big brakes and not being able to get decent track pads for them.

I’m definitely going to look into making an adjustable rear beam at some point as it’s a pain in the arse keep re shimming the beam, having it adjustable in situ would be so much easier and save some weight as it’s stupidly heavy. I cornerweighted mine and dropped the back end slightly to add some more weight over the rear. Coupes do handle better imo.

You can get electric heater boxes but I just made a coolant ran one. Heated screens aren’t cheap and expensive to replace.

I saved 5.5kg on the loom and that’s just a cut down standard one so yours will be a good saving more.

Anti lag is hard on turbos and exhaust valves due to the heat, not massively needed on track only really the low speed bends you’d benefit it’s more a rally thing imo.

I have a white line 24mm and find it sits very close to the subframe when cars lowered even with the RnD adjustable drop links nearly at max length

21 - 40 of 51 Posts