Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this back in 2013 with a z18xe. the car was immaculate but after only owning it 3 months the engine developed a misfire. after changing ecu and most sensors and engine loom i could not solve the problem. went to 2 different mechanics as well and they thought it was a wiring fault somewhere. at this stage i had enough and car was to clean to break foe parts.

At the time more power seemed like the best option so i set out to look for a z20let donor car. luckily i seen a z20let coupe with light front damage, the engine was forged and only covered about 10,000 miles. car came with new gsi bumper and ap coilovers.

i will let most of the pics do the talking. slowly building it over the last 3 years into a good spec fast road/ trackday car. plan to build a 480+bhp engine next year for it.

when i got it.

started to do a few mods.

i bought a donor z20let coupe with a good spec engine.
86,50mm wossner forged pistons.
forged rods.
vxr turbo with oil restriction bolt
steam seals done in head.
all new bearings.
balancer shaft delete kit.
eds inlet manifold copy.

fitted

3" cobra system

boost and oil pressure

Aem wideband

walbro 255 fuel pump.

the head ended up warping because there was a split in a water hose and from what i can make out it got a air lock in the head and caused a hot spot inside the head and it warped. the coolant never went over 80 degrees.

head off.

new header tank

small it of rust to sort out.

more updates tomorrow as copying from another forum.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks lads :thumb:

xev inlet cam. still waiting for a RND vernier pulley.

new Forge actuator.

maf cable extended.

hydro dipped cover.

lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
another update. i bought an alloy strut brace months back but it just would not fit as i have a eds inlet manifold which is longer so strut brace was way to close and the tophat on inlet would hit it when accelerating hard. i took it off and made up a smaller diameter one and modified the top hat a bit and now there is plenty clearance from tophat and bonnet. i gave it a coat of Europa blue to finish it off.

also started work on a new stainless exhaust manifold for a garret turbo i will be running in the future. i will be gathering up all the parts over next year.
i will need to buy the following.

.ported and polished head with cat cams and double valve springs.
.6 paddle helix clutch kit.
.Garrett turbo.
.external wastegate.
probably more parts as well that i cant think of yet.

cnc billet merge collector from Elmer racing.

needs some polishing.

little update. 18" Team dynamics fitted now and new center caps ordered last Friday. the 356mm ksports should look good behind them and i went with yellow calipers as think they will look good. still waiting for the other parts which is annoying as want to fit my rnd wishbones and top mounts together when they arrive so i can get camber and tracking checked.

Another little update! i got my carbon fiber side skirt extensions fitted today. i hope that i can get some made to fit the rear irmscher spats next.

excuse the mess of the yard and i need to invest in some tyre shine!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i have bought some more goodies my ksport brake setup wont be here for another few weeks so after some thinking i decided to upgrade the rear with the vectra vxr setup! they use the 292x20mm vented disc. i bought new alloy adapter plates, grooved discs to match the k sport ones and the correct hoses which will be here next week.

also bought a new Gtx3076r turbo setup but that wont be used for along time. i am just collecting up parts to build a bigger spec engine for the future so grab any bargains i find.

there seems to be a delay with the rnd top mounts so once they are ready i will be getting them along with rnd drop links. they will be fitted then with the rnd wishbones and i will get the tracking and camber set.

my new center caps.

a spare rear beam i am going to clean and repaint and fit my rnd beam bearings and vectra vxr brake setup with my whiteline arb.

new discs

new turbo setup. i am making my own manifold so i will post updates about that in the future.

only a little bit done recently. rolled rear arches as i have 225/40/18 tyres so it was close to rubbing but fine now after been rolled also fitted new Gm rear mudflaps. needed some trimming but not as bad as i thought.

got my new RnD droplinks and top mounts as well. beam is now all painted but need to order new hubs but realized how pricey they are so will have to wait a few weeks. once i have them i can build up the beam with the vectra vxr setup and then swap out original beam. vectra calipers should be here next week and i have the correct braided hoses as well. i am in no rush as i have to mot it first and get it on the dyno road. so wont be fitting anymore parts on the car until then.

i got some rear depo lights now fitted and at last my vectra vxr rear calipers. i was waiting a month for them off a ebay seller but got refunded and bought them off another seller. got my yellowstuff rear pads now as well. still waiting for my ksports but need to try get colour code from them so i can paint rear calipers to match.

little bit done this weekend.

rnd motorsport wishbones fitted along with top mounts and drop links and black series anti roll bar bushes.

bought some courtenay sport high lift klasen cams at a good price and they only covered 2k miles. i have a c20xe block being delivered soon so plan at end of year is to get under piston oil jets fitted to the c20xe block and build it all up with the parts from my z20let. will aim for about 500 bhp. basically have all the parts i need now but want to enjoy it the way it is then pull engine out some stage next year.

i got the tracking and camber set and got it on the Dyno road. happy with the result and made a good 245 bhp. need to make some adjustments to the map and should get a nice 300 bhp with the k06 and few other mods done to it. in Ireland we only have 95 octane fuel. with my setup people are making about 330 bhp in uk but i will be happy with 300 bhp.

After a 4 month wait i finally got my ksport 356mm brake kit i only trial fitted one side to check if i needed wheel spacers and i dont so thats good. going to order a wheel stud conversion kit now as will make life easier when fitting wheels plus calipers are so big and wheel can easily hit off them when fitting so dont want to damage the paint.

some pics i took lately and the ksport setup.

the 308mm discs vs the 356mm

little update for this week. got some new RnD stem seal retainers for new engine next year and a stud and nut conversion.

a F23 gearbox with 79k on it so plan it to clean and paint it then fit my quaiffe lsd to it at some stage. still need to order new slave cylinder and lsd bearings.

bought a secondhand Helix 6 paddle clutch that only covered 1000 miles.

fitted a clear cambelt cover i recently got

new clips for rear bump strips on quarter panel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
starting work on my stainless tubular manifold.

Busy day today, got my full ksport brake kit fitted and fitted the air cooling brake ducts. next plan is to give the car a full machine polish then bed in the front discs and pads then paint my vectra vxr calipers and fit the whole beam from my previous posts.

i also ordered a new bearing kit for my quaife lsd and a F23 clutch slave cylinder and some solid subframe mounts from RnD motorsport so should be here next week. when i get a chance i will degrease my spare gearbox and fit the lsd and repaint it.

I decided to fit a forge recirculation valve and remove the dv26 dump valve it had.

removed the standard diff from my spare f23 box so getting that ready to fit the quaiffe lsd.

another delivery from RnD. slave cylinder, diff bearings, driveshaft seals, solid subframe bushes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats it all up to date now. basically been building the car 3 years and its still off the road! i was supposed to insure in last month but if i did i would lose my no claims bonus for this year which was at 10 months so need to wait 2 more months to insure it. i have first week off in November so need to drop the subframe, fit the helix paddle clutch and lightened flywheel, f23 box with quaife lsd and solid subframe bushes.

i ordered a mtech short shifter mainly because the standard shifter is very worn on the box. other than that i am not going to spend much on it this year, next years plans are to focus on new engine and more power. i will have the tubular manifold finished in the next few weeks.

also bought a set of comp m06 wheels 18x9" i actually bought them at a bargain thinking they were 8" so would of fitted fine but they are 9" and the 235 tyres on them currently are to wide.

in the future i would love to get a cage built for it and strip out rear of interior and fit 2 bucket seats then fit the wide arch kit and my mo6 wheels but kinda need to start saving to buy a house at some stage :lmao:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There does not seem to be many using the wide arch kit but i love the look of them!

over the last week i dropped the subframe to fit the F23 gearbox with quaife Atb diff and mtech short shifter. courtenay sport lightened flywheel with Arp bolts and Helix 6 paddle clutch and pressure plate, solid RnD subframe bushes and decided to buy vibra technics mounts. previously i had mounts filled with tiger seal but i like my parts spec list

i am just waiting for a powerflex gearbox mount insert to arrive for the top of the gearbox and i am waiting for another drive shaft because the thread was damaged on outer cv joint so just bought a whole 2nd hand shaft with cv joints. those 2 parts should be here next week so i can refit everything then.

once thats all done i am fitting my rebuilt rear beam with the vectra vxr rear setup. that will be the car more less finished for this year. thinking about getting carbon fiber canards for front of bumper and carbon fiber rear extensions for bottom of rear bumper. other than that i will just be getting map adjusted and drive the car because it spent most of its time off the road since i started this project!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
a while since i updated! but car is all back together and on the road at last. currently on semi slick tyres because thats what came on the wheels when i bought them. instead of messing about changing tyres i have decided to keep the pro race 1.2 wheels for good weather and trackdays and i have just bought a set of Revolution millennium 18x8 et35 wheels which will be delivered monday and i have 4 new uniroyal rainsport 3 tyres on the way so getting all that fitted in the next 2 weeks! wheels should clear calipers fine so no messing about with spacers.

Rear beam with vectra vxr caliper setup, new wheel bearings, mtec discs with yellowstuff pads, RnD beam bearings.

new gearbox mount with powerflex insert.

twin 12" fans.

Dbilas intake pipe. now repainted and fitted but forgot to get a pic.

compared to the vectra c one!

pic of one of the wheels the seller sent me, painted in Mercedes bronze 461. one wheel has very slight curbing so i have to try get pain and sort that.

most recent pic. cant wait to get the new wheels fitted plus it would be nice to have some grip in the wet with the new tyres!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
wheels finally turned up and i just tried one for fitment and all is good! about 10mm clearance between caliper and back of spokes so no need for wheel spacers!

i went with a 215/35/18 tyre because i currently have 225/40/18 tyres on the pro race 1.2s and they are kinda close to rubbing front arches. rear is ok as arches are rolled. just need to sort paint next for one wheel that has slight curbing and get tyres fitted.

·
North Western Regional Coordinator
9,554 Posts
they look epic the new wheels

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks i love the new wheels and there not to common on a mk4s so its something different! annoyingly i am still waiting for the wheel to come back from the paint shop.

few updates. i got the tyres delivered and have the turbo manifold finished now. its my first one to make and a bit of a learning curve but i enjoyed it plus it saved me a couple of hundred by making my own one :D

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/Mobile%20Uploads/20161226_144057.jpg[~original/IMG]

[IMG]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/jonny057/Mobile%20Uploads/20161226_195508.jpg~original

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i got the tyres and wheels fitted last weekend and been buying parts again. got a Evo 8 intercooler which has a 4" core. braided water lines for turbo with An fittings, 2.5L swirl pot and a Bosch 044 Fuel Pump And Billet High Flow Fuel Filter from Torques in the uk. heat reflector wrap for breather pipe mainly because i like the look of it!

happy enough with the way car is now so wont be making many changes for a while. plan now is to keep buying parts i will need for my new forged engine i will be getting built and fitting sometime this year. next on shopping list is 90mm maf and pipe for turbos cold side and turbo oil feed and return line.

·
MIGWeb Lord
3,839 Posts
Really nice build, how you finding the brake balance with the larger fronts and vectra vxr rear caliper set up, I have a very similar set up on my race car but not driven it yet

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
little update, been busy gathering up more parts again! the brake balance seem ok and i am only using yellowstuff pads all round for now. they have only done few hundred miles so far so might be bedding in still.

one question i have is will this 90mm AEM air filter be able to handle around 480 to 500 bhp? looks quite small but seems popular on garrett setups..

1000cc RnD injectors

AEM water methanol system

turbo oil feed and return, 90mm AEM filter

90mm aluminium pipe to make intake. still deciding if i will be running a maf sensor or map it out, if i will use the sensor i am getting a maf boss to weld onto the pipe as its a lot neater that way. also waiting for a 90 degree bend to join pipe to turbo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love this thread ! Very noce work mate.

Regarding you air filter it seems to be a quite small. I personaly went for a big pipercross one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts