Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right came out this morning
bloody thing would not start :rolleyes:
checked usual stuff there is power at coil plugs wet so i assume the fuel pump is working seems to work when engine is cranked so i don't think thats it.
tried spare working ecu made no difference car just cranks over and does not try to start at all so i am thinking spark related any gen ???
cheers
duncan

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
the dreaded fuel pump relay can cause no fuel or spark, but more likely just one or the other - usually fuel.

one or the other fault gives a fault light though someone said once - I only ever had problems with them causing no fuel, which didn't.

all gte owners should carry a spare FPR in the glovebox ;) - eliminate that first.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right
checked ecu for fault codes (came back clean no faults)
checked for power to coil (check thats ok)
checked fuse's relays (one suspect)
so car now started but i suspect this relay is the culprit GM part number is
GM 90378651
50 205 001
12v 15A
fuse was strapped to another relay on the right hand suspension turret by the abs unit so i assume this is the fuel pump relay the connections and wires all look good but if you start car and tap it the car stops instantly

ok to vaux to get new one now
cheers
duncan

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
open up the old one, they almost always can be repaired - as it's the solder joints that just go dry - if you cut the case cafefully it can be slid off and reused again - a bit of insulation tape - and there's your spare :)

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
fuel pump relays lol

I checked my nova gte when it had this problem, called out the RAC to confirm it and he didnt have a clue saying it was my alarm

my relay sits nxt to the ignition management box on the bulkhead

they get extremely hot after bout 45 minutes so u can see why they go faulty

I checked mine using a volt meter and found out that it was faulty

another way is to switch the ignition on and give it a wiggle whilst in its socket, your should here it clicking like mad

cost me £15 from vauxhall

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I think other cars have it near the ECU - a far more sensible place than an engine bay for a relay which has to work hard, as well as put up with constant heat cycling.

if you've ever done electronics ALT (accelerated life testing) or stress/vibration testing, you'll know straight away when you open a faulty one up that it's classic fatigue symptoms - made worse by the fact that it's big through hole components in there with big solder joints.

look for apparently innocent looking grey rings around the legs of the components.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the car starts spot on now :cool:
new relay cost £30 :eek: i told the guy i wanted a relay not the whole car lmao

Still a bit perplexed the fuel pump was running with the old relay does the relay power anything else up? also its cable tied to another black relay about the same size but only 4 pole. Also found some insulation damaged on the relay wires which might point to the reason behind the relay failing, repaired the wiring and it all seems good now anyway, fingers crossed it will stay that way :rolleyes: lmao
cheers
duncan
ps thanks for the help guys :beer:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mk1rs2000 said:
new relay cost £30 :eek:

Still a bit perplexed the fuel pump was running with the old relay does the relay power anything else up? also its cable tied to another black relay about the same size but only 4 pole.
gone up £3 quid in the last 6 months.

the other relay is the abs one. my fpr did the same thing but wasnt supplying enough power to the pump so it wasnt pumping enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.