Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ive done the 16V (256 x 24mm) brake upgrade on my corsa 1.2 16V.

Ive been getting squeeling from the brakes for a couple of months now but assumed it was the shoes on the rear drums cos they are cheap but now im not-so-sure? Im running Red-dot 6groove discs and red-dot fast road pads.

Today I noticed that HALF the front left disc on the outside face gave a different shine in the light and the surface felt ever-so-slightly wavey, like very slightly ribbed, but ONLY slight.
I think the pads are virtually worn out too. Their is about 6mm off the back plate left on the inside pad and approx 3mm left on the outside pad, im not sure how low they are meant to be worn before replacement? Also is it normal for outside pads to wear a lot quicker than the inside pads?

So new pads needed but what about the surface of the disc, is it okay? The discs are FAR from worn out but I dont want to go fitting new pads if one of the disc's is nackered....

Any help MUCH apreciated - TOM

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i should get away with the disc, it will wear nice and flat with new pads hopefully but seriousley you think the piston is in some way siezed cos the outside pads on each set of brakes has worn quicker than the inside pads?? That doesnt make sense cos i'd know if they were siezed, i.e they would scrub the discs/and slow the wheel down when spinning but they dont...

If I do replace the lot im considering going with the V6 brakes for looks, i dont think they would give me any better performance than my 16V's, wot do you lot think...? Cheers

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
did you clean the calipers up and grease the sliders etc?

v6 i hear gives spongy pedal feel, the 256 ones you have should give ample stopping power for a 1.2

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah shoved that high-temp grease EVERYWHERE on the calipers and backing plates lol. Yeah I heard about spongy pedal feel, thats whats putting me off really. Think I should just replace the pads and see how it goes...
I have noticed a decrease in braking performance lately, maybe because the pads are worn pretty low? Actually how low can you wear pads down before they should be replaced because as I said mine are at 2-3mm, can they do any damage to discs being low or is it just when they are down to the backing plate that they do damage? Cheers for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My 16v brake sytem wears the outside pads down quicker than the inside,and thats after a complete caliper rebuild,left and right sides wear the same though so im not worried.
Dave

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, just about to go out and fit the new red-dot pads, i'll let you know if I have any probs and I MUST remember to take it easy for first 500miles :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Easy way to check if calipers sticking on, jack up front of car and try spinning a wheel at a time, also check to see if one slows quicker than the other after spun. Should show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts