Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
JohnA said:
It's not the best idea for a water-cooled turbo such as the KKK.

It would better suit an old-fashioned Garrett
Why isnt it a good idea with water-cooled turbo's. Don't know much about turbo systems but planning on one soon so any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
OP :)

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
because the heatosoak peak after engine shutoff is absorbed by the turbo's waterjacket.
You don't need an extended oilflow to cool things down. And it's a good idea to keep idling to a minimum when it comes to plain-bearing turbos.

Aircooled turbos need some very short idling before shutoff, about 30 seconds after they've been boosting. Most of the time you'd be parking during that period, so it would be redundant anyway.

Turbo timers are a relic from the past, and even then they usually did more damage than good. They would be useful if the oilpump were electric, but it isn't.

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
JohnA said:
because the heatosoak peak after engine shutoff is absorbed by the turbo's waterjacket.
You don't need an extended oilflow to cool things down. And it's a good idea to keep idling to a minimum when it comes to plain-bearing turbos.

Aircooled turbos need some very short idling before shutoff, about 30 seconds after they've been boosting. Most of the time you'd be parking during that period, so it would be redundant anyway.

Turbo timers are a relic from the past, and even then they usually did more damage than good. They would be useful if the oilpump were electric, but it isn't.
Looks that way :)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Waste of money in simple terms for the sake of driving your car "off boost" for a couple of miles before you stop then give it 10 secs before switching off.

Leaving it idling just warms it up even more.

Plus - what John said - lol

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
my mates just bought a tuned evo 5 rs and it came with lots of tuning HKS toys including an HKS turbo timer(i think its HKS) set to 1:30 he hasn't had the car long and i've only been in it once, so i'm not sure how it works but certainly it was running before i got in the car. Would you say that the timer is un-needed?

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
My mates Evo 4 didnt have one fitted. He just drove the last minute or so a little slower, not using the boost and left it to idle for 30 seconds. Had the car for 4 years and never had a turbo problem.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
artfulmatt said:
But I'm linking the turbo timer to the electric fan !! and never turn the engine off until about 90 degrees !!
That's not a turbo timer then mate - that's a matter of a different rad fan.
No harm at all if the fan keeps on going a bit after you've switched off. That's a good thing actually, especially in hot weather.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.