Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was gonna put another engine in my dead cally, but seeing as the weather is so shitty and the cars been off the road for 3 months, i dont think i can be arsed.
If any mechanics in here fancy swapping an engine over in my 2.0l 16v J plate, could u let me know, and for what price. Or if u know of any good garages that wont charge alot around the Southampton/Hampshire area, again. let me know.

PS. also need a bodykit sprayed, all this in the next couple of weeks or so, thanx alot everyone! :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I know this might sound like a p1ss take - but i could do it - but I charge 20 quid an hour... I have a fully equipped 300 sq ft workshop that needs paying for... I have a proper solid RAC / AA type tow-bar, and am insured (trade) for any vehicle under 5K

I reckon, including towing to me (slough, berks) and driving it back - 250 :eek:

Guy

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does sound good mate, so £250 covers the lot?
Youd pick it up, take the old engine out, put the new one in, and bring the car back???

Let me know more mate, as i am seriously thinking about doing this, thanx.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That assumes you have the new complete engine - If I have to start bu66ering about swapping manifolds / alternators / injectors etc etc then its a different story.

Believe me - i once spent two days fitting a 2.0 sohc cavalier mk2 engine (fwd) into a carlton (rwd)
(had to swap:- all the sensors (different fittings) alternator, starter motor, sump, oil pick up, dip stick (!), all the water system, throttle body and make up a custom loom to fit it. Plus a bit more i dont _want_ to remember lmao )

Just have to find someone silly enough to be towed all the way from southampton! - my usual towing partner is busy at the mo'

Guy

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as i know mate it will be a straight swap, only thing is the new engine had its driveshafts cut.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
so?

just swap the ENGINE - not the gearbox - or is that bu66ered as well?
not that there is much in it - just lift car not engine (i.e. undo gearbox and engine mounts, drop drive shafts out, lift car off... wheel engine out, wheel new engine in, drop car, do up bolts ;) as opposed to undo engine bolts, lift engine out, drop new engine in. swear as you realise somthing you have forgotten lmao )

What exactly went wrong with yours anyway? let me guess - cambelt snapped, fked top end?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heheheh nah the original gearbox is sound.

The head was porous, and i think i let the engine overheat one too many times - fecked engine!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
shall we continue this discussion off-forum? seems a bit pointless on-forum

mail me

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
guydewdney said:
That assumes you have the new complete engine - If I have to start bu66ering about swapping manifolds / alternators / injectors etc etc then its a different story.

Believe me - i once spent two days fitting a 2.0 sohc cavalier mk2 engine (fwd) into a carlton (rwd)
(had to swap:- all the sensors (different fittings) alternator, starter motor, sump, oil pick up, dip stick (!), all the water system, throttle body and make up a custom loom to fit it. Plus a bit more i dont _want_ to remember lmao )

Just have to find someone silly enough to be towed all the way from southampton! - my usual towing partner is busy at the mo'

Guy
i did a similiar thing,but 2 litre carlton into 1.8 sri mk2 astra,just had to change the sump,dipstick,couple of water pipes,then wire up with a cavalier 2 litre loom.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
sure - I have seven patents to my name..:cool:

ideas on what?

How to fix the car? replace engine sounds like the easiest. Chuck the new engine in my van. Ill tow it away. Ill drive it back (or you pick it up)

Or take the old engine out yourself, replace the head, re-build the crank. rebore it. etc etc....... :D

Guy

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiya Guy, sorry mate, been having trouble with my e-mails.
Would next weekend be ok for an engine swap? Ill let u know if its gonna be for definate by Monday/Tuesday if thats ok, let me know what u think mate, thanx.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i should be free to pick it up next w/e (as in ten days, not three). Should take me 48 hours all told (just to make sure) - so you should be able to drive to work monday....

Guy
tel 07979026O24

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Guy, ill phone u beginning of next week 2 let u know whats going on. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts