Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what sort of results people have had with biodiesel?

I'd like to try it, unless it's going to knacker the pump or something strange...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been running my 2.0DTI Zafira on B100 (i.e 100%)Biodiesel for about a year (8k miles) and the engine runs quieter (esp on startup) & mpg is about 1mpg better.In the summer you can use Biodiesel neat, but in the very cold winter times use 50/50 with normal diesel as it can block the fuel filter when cold.Make sure you know what Biodiesel is as there is alot of Bullls**t about mixing Veg oil with white spirit etc , have a look at this site for suppliers http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/ also it is usually a couple of pence cheaper than Supermarket Diesel.First time I used it was with B5 (5% bio with 95% fossil) & even at that mix I noticed the engine running quieter,so have a look at a few websites & go for it,your engine will last longer,it's cheaper & it helps the environment...... Let me know how you get on..

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 2 links you have posted are for SVO (straight veg oil) & not Biodiesel so do not relate to my situation.SVO has not had the Glycerine removed & therefore is more viscous among other things.You need to read up on the differences before using either,there is plenty of info. on the Web but be sure you do some research before using either.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little update. :)

Ran my first tank of Biodiesel through the DTi. 250 miles from a 1/4 tank so economy is better than plain diesel. The black smoke cloud has gone, now just a blue puff under heavy acceleration from a standing start.

I'm using a 95% blend available from a local filling station.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i use biodiesel in my astra works van 1.7td. throttle response is much better as well as ecomony. dont use it all the time though just when i pass the filling station. oh and the smoke is reduced

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am getting a Zafira 2litre DTI 16v, i know the newer common rail engines cant run on cooking oil, but is there a percentage of cooking oil I could mix with pump [email protected] I have been using it in 94 Mondeo TD, with Diesel, and if I put too much in, it takes a long time to start, but still runs, I know how it sets when the engine is cold, so hard to start, but i wondered if i can do anything like this at all with my new Zafi in any percentage, thanks.

·
Registered
717 Posts
the reason you are getting better running & economy on bio diesel is because std. supermarket diesel is usually terrible.... i used to run a mixed fleet of 6 wagons & the economy on supermarket fuel compared to a known brand was noticeable.. like 12% difference in economy...

·
Registered
717 Posts
i was commenting on other people's posts..

i'd say that if the inj pump has more than one electrical connection (the stop control) on it then you should avoid using it.

anything newer will usually suffer from putting veg oil in it, if it was proper bio diesel, then i'd say its probably ok.

where are you getting your cooking oil from?? cos in my local supermarket, it is more money per litre than diesel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank You. Its an Ecotec engine, ive just read your reply, I was using it in my 94 Mondeo 1.8TD with Diesel, and it was fine, but if I add too much, its hard to start when engine cools down. I get it from a cash and carry called Hyperama, and also Makro, I get 20 litres at a time, and thats about £18

·
Registered
569 Posts
The pump in your 2L 16v diesel is not rated very highly at all for veg oil on the Vegetable Bob website so I don't think you should bother or you may stuff up your pump. Proper converted biodiesel is marginally better in mixture with regular diesel, but I wouldn't bother with that either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Thank You for helping me with this one, no cooking oil will go into it then, all I need to do now, is use up the mixture of diesel and cooking oil in my 94 Mondeo 1.8td, then goodby cooking oil, Thanks again mate.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, use the veg oil mix in your old Mondeo. Take care of your 2L diesel and only use regular diesel in it.

The old Bosch VE pump in my MK3 Astra (X17DTL) is rated very highly for use with both veg oil and with biodiesel, so I would use veg oil mixtures if I had access to any. I did use homemade biodiesel in it for several years without any issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i will be changing insurance over to Zaffi 2ldti soon and starting to use that, just using up the mix of diesel and veg oil in the Mondeo. There was a Volvo on Topgear some time ago running on cooking oil,and they did something like it on Mythbusters.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I never did try straight veg oil in my X17DTL. If I ever did would use it in mixture with regular diesel - some people use it 100% but there is the filtration issue if its used oil, also I gather the viscosity isn't quite right and there are start-up issues.

I remember long ago reading up on it and figured I was better off making biodiesel out used veg oil. Thinner stuff, lower emissions, excellent lubricity. When the process was complete it was certainly cleaner looking fuel, it passed the quality tests and I always filtered it down to 5 microns before mixing with regular diesel.

I missed that Topgear episode - I'll have to look it up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only time ive tried to run any engine on straight new veg oil, was when I was weighing in my Cavalier 1.7td, and was putting it down a funnel straight into the engine, and there wasnt any difference only the smell!. But with the Mondeo, I would get whatever amount of diesel I could afford at the time, and then get 20 litres of KTC veg oil, and get someone to hold the funnel, and pour it in. Before I went to Wales, I put 20 litres in to more or less, ha;f to 3/4 of a tank of diesel, with the engine running, so it mixed it up, and yes, you are right,t here are start up issues, in the morning, it will turn over, and sound like its trying to go, like a thump, bang, and all I would do, would be to turn the glow on and off a few times, and then turn the engine over and so on, and eventually, it would start on tickover, and even if your foot ws on the accelerator, it would stay on tickover for a few seconds, and slowly pick up, and when the revs were hig, and you took your foot off, you would see a cloud of smoke! but it would be ok for a few hours, unless you was not planning to stop the engine for too long, and it would start up as normal. I did have a Transit van 2.5di. and was doing the same with that, and went to get a car for someone, and it was creeping along, and we found out, it was the filter, even though it was new oil. so the next day, I changed it, and it was fine. If you have facebook, look for Andrew Mckenna Chilwell

Thank for your help Paul, and a good chat, add if you like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering what sort of results people have had with biodiesel?

I'd like to try it, unless it's going to knacker the pump or something strange...
People have had great results using biodiesel in their cars. Biodiesel is a cleaner-burning fuel than gasoline or diesel, so it helps reduce emissions and improve air quality. When I purchased some from this HVO fuel UK provider, my car didn't have any problem. Biodiesel also has a higher cetane number than petroleum diesel, so it burns more efficiently and can improve fuel economy by up to 5%. And because biodiesel is made from renewable resources like vegetable oils, it helps reduce our dependence on fossil fuels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts