Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
This is one of MSD's replies to the above mod. They(MSD) would charge a fee of £75 for it. Courtneys carry out similar mods for £20

The simple 3 pipe modification to the air intake trunking is normally carried out in conjunction with a foam replacement air filter element. The greater the pressure of the air going into your engine equates to a few extra horsepower, also the cooler the air the better as it has a greater density.

Although an induction kit allows more air to be drawn into the engine, it also draws in a lot of hot air from inside the engine bay. There are induction kits on the market with additional tubing thus positioning the air filter nearer the front of the car in order to draw in more cold air but it is important that the car does not draw in any water as this would seize the engine.

By removing the ends of the three pipes, you are simply creating a greater area for the suction of air into the engine, this can only help. If you remove the end of the pipe in front of the radiator first, get someone to rev the engine while you feel the additional air being sucked in.

It should be a simply task to carry out, I understand there are quite substantial instructions for this on vectra-sport. An ideal set up would be to have an extended induction kit with the filter positioned where the standard airbox normally is, this could have some tubing facing it from the front bumper or an intake vent on the bonnet.

By shortening the distance the air travels in, you also shorten the distance for the noise to travel back out from the engine. The three pipes are there for noise suppression so do expect a little more of a roar from the car under acceleration.

Maybe this will clear up some of the issues that are arising on this board

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
click on my signature pic. Loads of info there. :)

One of the popular cheap mods(for the 2.5v6 NOT the New 2.6v6) is the "3 pipe mod" which can be found HERE . Its a mod thet MSD recommend for the GSi.

It is also reversable, if it doesnt suit your car. The pipes that are cut, can be bought from VX for about £3 each.

Also use the keyword search feature. ie PIPE, AIR FILTER, INDUCTION, 57i, MOD, MSD etc as their are loads of other posts dotted around the board.

If you have the Cash, you can get your V6 engine upto GSi spec(3.0l Cams). See the "Special offers" link, and click on MSD (the people that build the GSi's for VX)

[ 16-07-2001: Message edited by: Paul B ]

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANX FOR THAT PAUL,I CANT FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS ON VECTRA SPORT, THE PIPES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE THE THE SMALL RUBBER PIPES THAT GO TO A SMALL BLACK MODULE ON THE AIR BOX ? IM AT WORK AT THE MOMENT AND SO CANT LOOK AT MY CAR.WILL I NEED TO FIT AN AIR INDUCTION KIT FOR THIS TO WORK AS I HAD A K&N BEFORE BUT DIDNT LIKE THE WHISTLE NOISE IT ENHANCED,THE LOW LEVEL GRUNT WAS OK BUT THE WHISTLE MADE IT SOUND LIKE A KETTLE ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Opps. The "HERE" link didn't work. :(

This is the instrucutions, based on the pre-faclift (glass 2 piece headlights)vectra. On facelift the pipe between bumper and wheel arch is alittle more awquard, and requires bumper removal)

This mod is just for use with the standard airbox. A total alternative is the K&N 57i induction kit, but i tried it and it was WAY TO LOUD for everyday use.

I have just carried out this mod. It is quite an easy task. For those who may wish to try this here is a step by step guide, (at your own risk)

Pipe 1 is behind numberplate. Remove 3 m8 bolts from center grill between headlights and it un clips. You will be able to see the pipe. unclip and cut the end off. Re-assemble.

Pipe 2 is the "normal" path for air intake and is just above pipe 1 by the bonnet catch.

Pipe 3 is between drivers side bumper and wheel arch liner. Remove indicator plug and lamp, and unclip the indicator from the headlight. Its a whiteish clip. Indicator will then push straight out. Now you will see a black pipe which is blanked. remove the Tx25 screw and unclip. cut the end off. Re-assemble.

I also shortened the pipe in the bottom of the air filter housing.

I kept the off-cuts incase i wished to blank them off again, but when you take them off you will see they have all the part no's on anyway, so new pipes can be bought easily.

The car now has 3 paths to draw incomming air instead of 1.

First impressions with these mods, no noticable noise increase, on a short test run, allowing the car to reach normal running temperature, it does appear ro run smoother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.