Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting one but i've been told that it would double my running costs.
At the moment I have a mk3 astra gsi which i have spent a shed load on coz it keeps breaking :(
So im getting fed up now and i know that things like petrol and tyres would cost a lot more on a turbo but how much more are my running cost likely to be?
I have checked with my insurance and it wont go up a penny if i get a turbo :D

Any help is much appreciated :beer:

Joe

·
Registered
727 Posts
mpg is good for the type of car. i run an average of 26 mpg.

its all about how you drive it, look after it and service it.

do it properly and you shouldn't have any worries.

go on get one now. a cav that its not a girly cally!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Both cars are fairly cheap for a 2.0 turbo - mpg is about 25-30 depending on mods and how u drive lol -

Tyres and general maintainance ain't that expensive - tyres have to be rotated every few thousand (so wear evenly)
Oil needs changing every 3-4 thousand miles but thats easy to do and costs nothing, apart from that should be fine - once a year change all fluids in the TXB,rear diff,gearbox just so u know all is in order.

Only thing is now they are older and more miles and most have been poorly looked after and thrashed - I'd spend the extra and buy one from an enthusiast (fellow mig persons maybe) then hopefully it won't be a complete ****ter lol

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cheers for all your help! I presume that they need to be run on premium unleaded/optimax etc as well?

cheers again :beer:

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Well...

My cav GSi in the first month of ownership cost more than my Turbo cost in the first month...

Mines completely standard, going down the M11 sitting at 80 in 6th and averaged around 33mpg, my GSi would've been averaging around 20mpg!!!

Tyres, standard rims, so 16's instead of the 17's my GSi had so they're cheaper...

I really can't see how mine will ever be double the cost of my GSi, that cost me around 1500quid in the first year...

Just get one, I ummed and arred about gettin one for ages then just went for it, best decision ever made!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah thats what I couldnt understand, how it could actually double. Yeah ok so petrol costs will increase a touch :rolleyes: but the amount i spent on my astra gsi just to keep it on the road in the first year was well over £1500, and its like i'm waiting for the next thing to go wrong with it :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts