Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone knows of any old skool VW beetles in a high state of tune, like the one that whooped the Cossie at Santa Pod last year?

I know that many chuck a Porsche engine in, so any gen like that would be nice.

Ta

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think I remember someone telling me the porsche engine went in easy enough but because its a flat six instead of a flat 4 it sticks out the back:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
i know of a lad who has stripped his beetle out , lowered the roof about 6 inches, space frame chassis, scooby turbo lump on back seat, mated to reno25 gearbox.
should proove interesting when finished

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
In the states a company sells a plate that alows you to fit a subaru engine into a beetle, you use the VW 4 speed std box and just bolt them together. I believe it is not a massive job to fit the engine but wireing cud be another story! Rick

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If u want it to pull wheelies stick a cozzy engine in it.
I stuck a pinto in the back of an old VW type 3, easy enough to do and performance was adequate, 55 bhp for vw engine and 105 for pinto provides an adequate improvement. A cozzy is just a glorified pinto anyway.
Talk to people who do grasstracking, they use vw gearboxes on their vehicles, powered by cozzy, honda and vauxhall units, im sure they can point u in the right direction.:)

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some interesting stuff there. Strangely enough, a Subaru Engine was one of the first things I thought of, after the Porsche lump of course.

No future in using the 1.6 flat 4, he said he's not worried about top end but wants acceleration and I am guessing good 1/4 mile times.

This could be fun :D

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You don't need to worry about engine swaps. The flat four lump can be made to pull the front wheels in the air easy enough.
BTW 'Prince of Darkness' was a beetle drag car that could run 11's in the 90's ...that was 1641cc if I recall (Met the guy who built it......clever guy, secret to his times were high revs and low weight). Get on to google, a few names to try are John Maher Racing (UK), Berg (USA) etc. Try lowbugget.com for some good tips.
Try some of the bug forums here in the UK too.
If you wanna go quick........get as much weight off the car as you can. Gearboxes are strong but you'll need to alter the ratios as theres quite a jump between 3rd and 4th (some people just keep it in 3rd through the traps....8000+ rpm!) an lsd helps too.
Make sure the front has plenty of castor - you can get spacers for the beam to do this. Try and get hold of a disk braked beam if you can. The IRS type rears suspensions are best but if your mates is swing arm he'll need to raise it slightly so that when the rear squats down the tyres are upright.
The engine can be stroked and bored up to ~2.4 litres with an aftermarket case. ~2.1 litres is the most with a stock case.
Theres huge amounts of goodies for the flat four engine - search and you'll see.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
BTW as your in essex make your way to the Ace cafe in london they have good bug meet every month. There have been some 11 sec street cars there too doing burnouts outside the cafe!!

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stefan, a wealth of knowledge, cheers mate. No idea they were that tuneable out the box, 1.6 as well.

I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
36 Posts
lol
My mate has one with a scooby WRX lump in. Physically it fits in very easy, all you need to do is buy the relevant adapter plate and flywheel, normally from Kennedy Race Engineering in the States. The weak point becomes the gearbox when you start putting that kind of power through it though, my mate had £1K worth of gearbox in his car, and although the gears were fine he actually snapped the nose cone off of the gearbox by trying a 3K rpm launch at Santa Pod :O
The hardest part to do is the wiring, as the standard ECU has something silly, like 400 wires in it because of traction control and all the other useless stuff. This has to be trimmed down to 130 that are required to run the engine, takes a fair bit of time and effort, but the performance is something else! My mate has had a Porsche Carrera from the lights before, which I think speaks for itself. If you wanna see some pics go to my mates site: http://www.volksdreams.co.uk

Chris

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is one cool Beetle.

I think due to budget restraints we will go down the route of looking into doing something with the existing 1.6 engine, and of course, throwing most of the car in the bin ;)

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Major disappointment...

It's a NEW Beetle, 1.6, 6,000 miles on the clock.

Is this an engine we throw away and start again?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If your talking 'bout the water pumper version...........you can stick a audi TT turbo lump in!

:D

Other than that .........don't know. Had nowt to do with the new ones :(

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tis what I said, was looking for somewhere to source the 1.8T from, not sure where though.

For all the mucking about you may as well throw the turbo lump in, much more performance out the box and much more scope for tuning.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Must be getting confused in my old age.........Im guessing now your mate has the mexican built air-cooled bug right?
If thats the case just do what I said. The mex ones have IRS too.
They also have a cat and other emissions crap that can come straight off.

New air-cooled mex = rip out everthing and tune that flat four!

New water-cooled fwd 'beetle' = stick in a TT lump - get in touch with www.jabbasport.com for TT stuff (they can source engines).

:beer: :beer:

opps, just reread the whole thread.....I am getting confused! Breathing in petrol vapours for too long I think :eek: lmao

1 - 17 of 17 Posts