Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.

When I look round at the old and relatively new boys to turbo motors, or at least popular recent ones, Subaru, Mitsubishi, SEAT, VW, Audi (same I know) etc etc you can't help but see how popular they are for tuning parts, in much the same way as the Ford Turbos are.

Rightly or wrongly it does feel like Phase Kits (good as they are) are pretty much the only, well documented and received way of tuning this engine. No disrespect to ATC, or EDS themselves but when you see Audi TT's pushing out big power in numerous ways, SEAT 1.8's making huge gains with little work, doesn't it make you feel a little restricted in terms of what you can and can't do? Especially when the engine are less than half as old as the original Vauxhall Turbo unit?

I have no doubts that a Phase 2/3/4 LET is rapid as hell, but wouldn't it be nice to have more options? Or maybe it's just down to imagination and knowledge.

I dunno.

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JRS said:
What do you define has "big Power" figure wise?
Bit ambiguous of me really.

I meant, look at the widespread use and tuning options of the XE as opposed to why can't we get 600 real bhp, that thread was done.

As 0ddball quite rightly said, there basically wasn't enough turbos made.

Whereas many brands where turbos are plentiful, I will use the example of the TT, have tuning options coming out their ears. It would be nice to have seen the C20LET used as widely as the Cossie engines and nowadays the Cupra bunch, but I guess that is part of the appeal. And also why people are amazed when a Cav goes ptsshhh.

If 350bhp is attainable and pretty reliable that is enough, just be nice to see a few more ways of getting it from a few different sources.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
If it makes you feel better, when I was shopping, there were no Phase kits around, no EDS either.

Pace refused to sell me a FMIC saying I have to go through Courtenay
They said they didn't do intercoolers, and I should go for their pathetic chargecooler (at almost £600)

At least now there is a tuning avenue, quite cost efficient too.
Proven as well:beer:

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, to some extent EDS put LETs on the map.

Just wondering whether to spend a fair bit of money modifying the car or keep it as it is and find something else to tinker with in a few months.

I do want to modify, I'm just not sure the cav is the right car.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Tim_P said:
I do want to modify, I'm just not sure the cav is the right car.
You could do worse (anything less than 2.0 liters)

You could also do better (there are some straight sixes out there with more cubes and more turbos...)

Only you wouldn't have a 'sleeper', as everyone expects a JapRocket with wingz to fly by.
But not a Vaux:beer:

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's the surprise element as much as anything.

Thing is, I don't really mind if loads of people had the same car as me because driving it is what I like.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
:rolleyes: You had enough difficulty deciding on this car Tim. And that wasn't rearly a choice, you just realised that everything else that suiting your spec was crap.

Newer cars have alot of tuning options because people realise that if you get a tuning kit going when a car is new you can sell so many more kits over the years. (first to the rich and then the poor on 2nd hand cars).

Not sure what killed the C20LET, emmisions ? or may be that vauxhall knew it needed 4x4 and didn't want to go there.

Tim, modify the cav if you want. You don't have to spend loads just make sure your buying worth while stuff and value for money.

Get an Intercooler first.
Maybe increase the boost slightly.
Lower it for :D
Phase 2
17/18" Wheels

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Emmisions and noise regs killed the YB engines so probably the same story with the LET.

You also have the fact that hot hatch insurance rates went sky high in the 90's so all the cars calmed down.

Things have calmed down today and engines are better cast and so on.

Chris

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Tim,

the lack of options for the LET is a prob but it is slowly getting better. Remember Regal and Courtenay were offering 300+ kits for these long before we'd heard of EDS.

In my mind the LET fills a niche in the market. finding a cheap car with the goodies list that it has is very difficult. 6 speed, 4x4, leather, 204bhp, turbo, electric everything, smart looks. for around £2k. most people view them as just a cav - which helps reduce the chances of your common theif havin it away. 4 door family saloon helps with the insurance.

TBH i'm at a loss as to what to replace it with when the time eventually comes.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
As has been said, its probably down to a combination of relatively small numbers being made, a bad time as far as insurance was concerned, and the simple fact that unlike Subaru, Mitsubishi etc. Vauxhall/Opel didn't race or rally the Turbo Cav or Cally. Gran Turismo wasn't around either to help advertise them, and to be honest Vauxhall's 'marketing' of the Turbos was pathetic - it was as if they were embarrassed about having such high performance cars in their model lineup !:confused: It would also have helped if they'd spent some chassis development with Lotus, as this was the area most reviews felt let the cars down.

Hopefully in a few years time, when the current crop of Z20LET powered cars depreciate to affordable levels, there won't be so much of a problem - they seem to be stuffing it into almost every Astra variant there is !:) So there will be a bigger demand for tuning kit, and therefore ( hopefully ) a bigger chice of tuning goodies.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Cosworth didnt have a prob meeting the CAT requirements, when they swapped to 95 Ron it also made more power. Up from 204 to 207 bhp, not much needed changing.

They couldn't meet the propsed emmisions which we are now only getting!

Imprezas don't meet the noise regs as standard, they have to do the test in 2nd gear where the boost is cut down and it goes into silent mode basically.

Maybe we will never know!

Chris

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Anyone dropped a Z20LET into a GTE, Cav, Corsa, or Cally yet ? Going by the ads in Total V its easy to get 250 - 280 +bhp out of them. Don't know if the F28 box fits them tho - surprised no-ones fitted an F28 to an Astra Coupe yet ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
chris,

ur right. the jecs ecu knows when to drop boost .the designers made sure that the car dropped the boost right down when it was being held at the same revs after a few seconds , just like they do at mot time when they are doing an emissions check. this was due to the fact that the car overfuelled like hell (especially when chipped or remapped), the extra fuel also helped keep temps down .

mart,

ive looked into this and i have heard that the z20 is a pig to fit , due to all the sensors that it has fitted.

slim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.