Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahoy,

I'm putting an oil temp gauge in the rasta, so, is it best to put the oil temp sensor in the front of the sump or put it in t'back?

Cheers ears,

MattJ

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know we "*discussed*" a good location you worm filth, but I was wondering if the airflow across the sump would give a lower reading then it should?

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
not reeeeally, cause the sender only reads on the smooth brass rod bit, which will be 100% inside the sump.

cemesis has his in the sump plug and it gets silly low readings. lower than my silly head readings.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
i wonder if that's cos the oil's colder where he's measuring it.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Animal said:
i wonder if that's cos the oil's colder where he's measuring it.
This is possible but it seems too cold, like just driving alot it never gets above 50 degrees.

Ragging it makes it go up but never above 80 degrees

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
what makes you think it's inaccurate? Just cos it's not what you want to see doesn't mean you can say it's wrong and disregard it.

IMHO it's reading correctly.

The manta doesn't have airflow over the sump, and no fins on it to aid cooling. I also don't run an oil cooler. I get 60 degrees turing normal driving, and 80 for more spirited driving.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Its not what I want to see, its what I expect to see.

I was at a Rolling Road once and when the car was being ragged with 2 massive fans going the oil hit 110 degrees, thats from a temperature sensor in the dipstick channel reading the temperature of the sump oil.

That coupled with the fact that its a turbo and I would ecpect the oil to get hotter than in an XE means to me that its reading too low.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
exactly my point. just cos you 'expect' it still doesn't mean it's wrong.

on the road, you get much better cooling than '2 massive fans', yo ucan't also thrash for the same length of time as you can on a RR, as things get in the way, like trees and other cars. your water temp'll also be much more stable on the road, and that also affects the oil temp. It's a totally different scenario.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Animal said:
exactly my point. just cos you 'expect' it still doesn't mean it's wrong.

on the road, you get much better cooling than '2 massive fans', yo ucan't also thrash for the same length of time as you can on a RR, as things get in the way, like trees and other cars. your water temp'll also be much more stable on the road, and that also affects the oil temp. It's a totally different scenario.
More realistically, 5 laps flat out round castle combe'll raise your oil temperature over 80 degrees.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Animal said:
More realistically, 5 laps flat out round castle combe'll raise your oil temperature over 80 degrees.

Good point there, Mr. Animal

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Stop trying to raise your post count! You know 0ddball is out of reach.

I would expect it to go up sitting in traffic, when the fan comes on at 90 degree for the water the Oil is still at 50 degrees. Just thought some of that heat would be taken by the oil but then when I am sitting idling theres no reason for the gauge to be wrong.

I have just thought of one way to test it but I won't be able to do it until the next oil change.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
would one expect the oil to get as hot as thrashing, just sitting idling for a long period. no airflow versus thrashing + tons of airflow.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Cemesis said:
I would expect it to go up sitting in traffic, when the fan comes on at 90 degree for the water the Oil is still at 50 degrees. Just thought some of that heat would be taken by the oil but then when I am sitting idling theres no reason for the gauge to be wrong.

I have just thought of one way to test it but I won't be able to do it until the next oil change.
wtf. think about what's actually happening in the engine. you're sitting in traffic. you're idling. there's very little oil flowing round the quite hot system, but a small amount of hot fluid going into a large resovoir of cool oil isolated from the hot block. now tell me if you expect the temperature to go up?

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
I did think about it. If you start the car in the morning and leave it the oil gets hotter doesn't it? Now if you thrash it upto 100 degrees and leave it then the Oil temp will go down.

So what you really need to know is at what point will the oil temperature reach a level point where the temperature no longer rises or falls when idling?

I think at that point the temperature will read more than 50 degrees. Thats my logic.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
hmmmmm... 'Cemesis logic'

I'm scared.

Oh, and I think you're wrong. why should it be more than 50 degrees? cos you think it should? I wish it worked like that, as I think i should be knobbing kylie and danni...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts