Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think im having problems with my alternator not charging. when i try to start the car it fires up and runs for maybe a few seconds then cuts out again. with a fresh battery it runs for a little longer but still cuts out. i put the meter across the battery and it was only reading 12 odd volts and only 12 on the digi gauge.

so yesterday i changed the alternator and the car fired up and ran sweet as a nut and the digidash volt meter was showing 15volts with the meter on the battery showing 13.9v. today i came out to start it to take it for an MOT and the battery was dead flat, not even enough to light the dash lights.

after tryin for ages to start it it wouldnt happen to i removed the plugs and heat them up and the car started, obviously flooded it, but then it just died yet again. after starting again the digi dash was again showing 12v but i never got a chance to measure it with the meter across the battery as it wouldnt start again.

so exaclty how does the alternator charging system work?

and what could have caused the new alternator to die so quickly?

im thinking a dead short somwhere since the battery was so flat but where the hell do i start to try and trace it :confused:

cheers

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and the charge light comes on when i switch on the ignition and goes out IF the car starts.

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tried two batteries now mate. both or which work fine in the LET nova.

ive just metered the small blue/white wire from the alternato to see if it was earthing out but its not that. larger one isnt earthing out either. im going to take that small part of the lom off and replace it with another one i have to see if that makes any difference.

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the small blue.white wire just go to one side of the charging light?

what is its purpose?

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to the top. gettin desperate here folks :eek:

ive not changed the alternator for a second time, and checked all the wiring from the round plug to the alternator/starter and found no faults.

rodgerq

·
Banned
4,005 Posts
sound like sometings draing the battey if it starts fine and is chargeing above 13v then you switch it of f and leave it for a few hours.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah it would seem so, but where the **** is it? i assume its a short but TBH i really dont have much of as clue as to where to start looking. its gettin near autospark time.

chances are i'll not make it on saturday. ill come up but the astra wont be there :(

rodgerq

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
tell you what rodg i'll sort your leccy problem if you fix my abs and weld my cat in for me (oh and cut it out and sleeve the exhaust once it passes mot)

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'd need to tow the car there for him to see it Rob lmao.

and i'd gladly swap your problems for mine mate

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still needing info folks :beer:

tonight i left the battery connected and it was reading 11.88 volts. i disconnected the big round plug though to see if it still runs it down overnight.

rodgerq

1 - 13 of 13 Posts