Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon gang.
Spend the weekend changing the springs and dampers on the cav i have because i found them a bit to harsh on the car when hitting things like stones in the road or egg-cup sized pot holes, found that the two front dampers were split and the rears seized up, got a new set of springs and dampers which are standard and slapped them on. At the same time the rear passenger side hub bearing was whining so i changed it for a new set, took it for a drive round the block and up and down the small carrageway and it was perfect....leaving the g/f parents house this afternoon, loaded up the car, started going down the carrageway from rushden to northampton when the rear drivers side hub started to rub...bugger i thought...then all of a sudden....bang..the arse was swingging everywere...back of the car was about 2 inches away from the crash barrier and the nose pointing at a flipping big merc undertaking us...at this point pushing gently on the brakes and slowly coasting to the layby was a task...stopped the car got out to have a look...can't see a thing..got back in and started to pull away slowly..banging and grinding...we was only 1/4 from home so on with the hazzard lights and slow drive home...got on the drive..jacked her up and had a good tug on the rear wheel...the whole thing moves about 2 inches in all directions....bugger. now she will have to sit there untill the weekend.

·
Administrator
61,453 Posts
kind worrys me, after i was driving with what we think is a knacked front bearing,
glad your ok and glad you didnt crash!

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were fine mate...it just shows what damage lowering the car can do if you haven't got the right set-up. The stress on the bearings must build up to a huge amount and now i have took some off i think the bearing just gave up. anyway just going to order a new set for both sides of autovaux..£8 a set... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Sounds like the bearing was overtightened.

anything more than finger tight the taper bearings overheat and seize up.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
Bad news, least you came away unscathed

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did finger tight on both sides...one side was done up a bit tight when i took them off and was lacking a bit of grease.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i had this happen on my Mk2 Gte- kids **** themselves, wife was oblivious and i had a stained seat- so know how it feels mate :eek:

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
You were lucky if the bearings were overtightened. Sometimes the hub snaps and not the bearing, and it is bye bye wheel.......

·
Premium Member
10,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it not as bad is me saying to the g/f that i had to use a big screwdriver to free my big end and it took some wiggeling and pushing... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts