Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 51 plate Astra, i have put a Sony Xplod GT-300 headunit in it however the standard vauxhall speakers are crap!!!
I was thinking of putting in Sony Xplod speakers all the way through front doors, front door tweeters and rear doors.
Looking round Sony seems quite expensive but i have always had Sony equipment in the house and was wondering if anybody had any experience of the car side of it and whether it is really worth the money or is there better alternatives around the £80-£100 for all 6 speakers??

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
jccorsal said:
Just got a 51 plate Astra, i have put a Sony Xplod GT-300 headunit in it however the standard vauxhall speakers are crap!!!
I was thinking of putting in Sony Xplod speakers all the way through front doors, front door tweeters and rear doors.
Looking round Sony seems quite expensive but i have always had Sony equipment in the house and was wondering if anybody had any experience of the car side of it and whether it is really worth the money or is there better alternatives around the £80-£100 for all 6 speakers??
the reason it sounds crap is probably down to the headunits internal amplifier.(just can't get enough power)
unfortunately sony car audio is at the lower end of the quality and value for money table.:eek:
would have recommended either alpine or pioneer.:D
sony car audio equipment is in my opinion overpriced.
in your situation i would try listening to your stereo at moderate volume then back off on the bass and try turning it up slightly or until it starts to distort, when it distorts just back off the bass and turn it up some more. if you can get it loud enough for you with little or no bass then i would recommend a sub of some description in the boot to give you your bass back. you will probably save money and get a louder more bassy sounding setup doing it like this. or the other alternative is to fit a four channel amp and try that, your original fit speakers will go louder if powered by a suitable amp. hope this helps mate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally I like Sony headunits and all the xplod stuff gives out a fairly respectable 4x50watts (peak power). I've just taken a £700 alpine headunit out of my car and replaced with a £300 Sony one and it sony loads better.

Speaker wise the sony speakers are at the cheaper end of spectrum and while they will give a reasonable sound it will not be earth shattering. I'd go for Infinitys.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Red Jonny said:
Personally I like Sony headunits and all the xplod stuff gives out a fairly respectable 4x50watts (peak power). I've just taken a £700 alpine headunit out of my car and replaced with a £300 Sony one and it sony loads better.
lmao lmao . it probably sony loads better because you know how to set one up. on the otherhand it may be sonys dso facility, unrivaled by any other make in my opinion. i too have just switched from alpine back to my trusty old sony,(because i can't work out how to set it up). but to be honest the alpine running at default settings wipes the floor with the sony quality wise, but my sony is 4 years old. with regard to power output from a headunit, its all basically sales-pitch bumph, most headunits are fused at 10 amps, this 10 amps needs to power all your flashy display, your cd motor, the cd lens carriage & laser, and obviously your internal amplifier, 4x50 watts peak, is an absolute max. much better to go by rms figures which don't quite have the same panache or ring to it, like 4x18watts rms.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Caul Pope said:
Agreed there! Fitted my Infinity Kappas to my coupe today.
are they running from an amp or from the headunit? just asking because some kappa comps are 2 ohms, (some headunits don't appreciate the extra power required for 2 ohmslmao)

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would have to agree with Wallop on the Sony issue, I had an all Sony Xplode set-up in my Fordy Asscort but with the AstraG have gone for an all Alpine set-up. 5 1/2 comps in the front, 6 1/2 co-axials in the rear door panel (3 door) and S Series 6x9 (aluminium cone) on the shelf. There is just no comparison in terms of sound or quality between Sony and Alpine imo. When properly amped and set-up, the Alpine is awsome :nod: :nod: .

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
wallopsri said:
are they running from an amp or from the headunit? just asking because some kappa comps are 2 ohms, (some headunits don't appreciate the extra power required for 2 ohmslmao)
Running from Alpine HU at the mo. Comps are 4 ohm, atleast I'm fairly sure they are!
Here they are (ebay bargain)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Caul Pope said:
Running from Alpine HU at the mo. Comps are 4 ohm, atleast I'm fairly sure they are!
Here they are (ebay bargain)
sorry mate but these are 2 ohm. may be wrong but i would think you are running the risk of damaging your headunits internal amplifier. don't know if you understand ohms law but put simply if you have these kappas in the front and rear of your car, your headunit will think its running, 8x mid bass woofers & 8x tweeters. this will cause excess heat and probably damage to your headunit. would suggest you invest in an amp that is 2 ohm stable. or at the very least ask alpine if the headunit you have will run 2 ohm comps safely.:beer:

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol

Now amps is a whole other issue

I'm running a genesis profile 5 amp running all the door and rear quarter speakers and a 10" sub and while it doesn't have riddiculous peak power rating it gives out 4x55w rms and 1x150w rms @ 4Ohms and the usuable frequencys. It ain't cheap but for a full system it really does sound amazing.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Red Jonny said:
lol

Now amps is a whole other issue

I'm running a genesis profile 5 amp running all the door and rear quarter speakers and a 10" sub and while it doesn't have riddiculous peak power rating it gives out 4x55w rms and 1x150w rms @ 4Ohms and the usuable frequencys. It ain't cheap but for a full system it really does sound amazing.
let me get this straight, your running a GENESIS PROFILE 5 with a sony headunit, thats like driving a porsche blindfolded, bags of quality & performance, you just can't see or use it!!!
all that money for such a sweet amp, then you starve it with a poor quality signal. :doh: lmao
no, joking aside mate excellent choice of amp,:cool: but in my opinion you are losing out because of the sony, but each to his own as they say
if i was going to run one of these amps it would have to be becker or pioneer methinks, if only you could listen to similar set ups back to back through different headunits, it would make choosing so much easier.lmao

1 - 12 of 12 Posts