Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm not much of a car geek but enjoy driving and mechanics.

It's my daily-use car, has a C14NZ engine, it is solid and serving me well.. but sometimes it feels like a bit more power would make everything right :) !
Since it's currently in need of replacing the clutch and timing belt, I was thinking if it's worth swapping to a more powerful 1.4 and if there is a solid enough option that doesn't require often visits to a garage to keep it running!

Would like to know the best balance of Performance/Reliability !

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi all! I'm not much of a car geek but enjoy driving and mechanics.

It's my daily-use car, has a C14NZ engine, it is solid and serving me well.. but sometimes it feels like a bit more power would make everything right :) !
Since it's currently in need of replacing the clutch and timing belt, I was thinking if it's worth swapping to a more powerful 1.4 and if there is a solid enough option that doesn't require often visits to a garage to keep it running!

Would like to know the best balance of Performance/Reliability !

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
if youve already got a 1.4, i wouldnt bother changing for another 1.4, not really worth it .... but a 1.6 16v X16XE engine would give you some extra donkeys.

they came as standard in the faster corsa B models, so fit straight in, using a front engine mount, an MPI fuel pump, 16v downpipe, an ecu and transponder ring, and the wiring side is pretty simple. you can keep your current gearbox and driveshafts.

that engine is about 100 horse, against your current 60.

cheapest, easiest way to do the swap, is to buy an mot failed tigra A, and swap all the necessary parts across.
the tigra A and corsa B, are basically the same car, with different body shells on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
if youve already got a 1.4, i wouldnt bother changing for another 1.4, not really worth it .... but a 1.6 16v X16XE engine would give you some extra donkeys.

they came as standard in the faster corsa B models, so fit straight in, using a front engine mount, an MPI fuel pump, 16v downpipe, an ecu and transponder ring, and the wiring side is pretty simple. you can keep your current gearbox and driveshafts.

that engine is about 100 horse, against your current 60.

cheapest, easiest way to do the swap, is to buy an mot failed tigra A, and swap all the necessary parts across.
the tigra A and corsa B, are basically the same car, with different body shells on.
Thanks for the reply mate!

Considering your suggestion for X16XE, here’s where I got so far:
  • X16XE: 1600cc, 105hp (It doesn't seem to be hard to find, I’ll check for GSi-s also)
  • X14XE: 1400cc, 89hp (found one for 100€ in great shape)
Just to note that if I switch to 1.6, I’ll have to change it in papers too!

Now, there are 2 things I would like to know:
  • Is the power difference on these two engines very noticeable?
  • And Is there a big difference in fuel consumption?
… I also found new interior for it and decided to strip the car off for a repaint… gotta try it myself :)

edited: Also do these engines run well if there's AC installed?

·
Registered
513 Posts
  • Is the power difference on these two engines very noticeable?
  • And Is there a big difference in fuel consumption?
edited: Also do these engines run well if there's AC installed?
you wont notice much difference from the 1.4, because the torque will be similar to your current engine, youll only be gaining a bit of power, which will help move the car a little bit faster, but not worth all the time, hassle, and cost, in my opinion.

the 1.6 however, youll be gaining some extra torque, to go with the power, so you will notice that, when driving, especially up hills, and when carrying extra passengers.

your current 8v SPI engine is super economical. it was designed to be good on fuel, so you will be paying a bit more for fuel, whichever of those 2 engines you choose. the difference between the X14 and X16 isnt much. little bit more in the 1.6, to burn the extra 200cc.

if you want more speed, higher fuel costs cant be avoided. it takes fuel to produce power.
all the fastest, high power cars, burn crazy amounts of fuel.

AC - upto you really. it steals a little bit of power when running, but not that much.
running it, it will raise your fuel costs slightly too.
without it - fitting, and wiring up the engine, is easier. more space in the engine bay, to work too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts