Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago my misssus asked for a new daily because our Fiat 127 mk2 restauration was going to take some time.. :D Guess why.. :face:

So out came the Calibra. The previous owner was the other halfs brother so I was quite familiar with the car.

The first thing on the to-do list was to cut down the ridiculously long shifter. 8cm later here it is. The gearknob came with the car.

Then I bought a vw golf 3 front strut bar and figured it would fit quite easyli. WRONG!

It was off 45mm so not that bad...
So out came the trusty toolbox.

And a drill and some bolts and some hammering, swearing and bending..

The center bolt was grind down from the centre so the two strutbar halves would screw together..

And so it did. It fits!!
Nex thing on the to-do list was to do a oil change.

IIt took some time to get the old oli filter off. I finally got it off by hammering a screwdriver through it so i could turn it hard enough. Somebody just doesnt know how tight you should turn on a oil filter :grr: .

Well.. Voila! DONE!

I changed the rear licence plate holder too..

Sometime in the future I need to buy a new rear box and a bumper and some better wheels and so on... :lmao:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: A daily v6 Calibra

Not a big update but seeing that no-one has given any feedback on the spacecraft I decided to purchase something I had not planned to.

Victor 3l300 30cm steering wheel

The down side is that it needs a new cover.. :face: Better learn how to sew..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

The gauge lights dimmed out some time ago. Maybe one or more of them are out but I can`t know for sure before I take the panel out and check. Can someone tell what connections behind the gauge panel give power to the background lights?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Yea.. let`s change a wheel ..

First remove the plastic bs behing the wheel

Then I found that with a small ratchet and a torx head you can remove the two screws behind the wheel to remove the airbag.

The airbag also has a small plug you can pull out to free it from the wheel.

Then I removed this thing behind the wheel but you don`t have to. You just have to unplug the plug behind the ignition switch ( plug on the right ).

Then get a 22 socket and loosen the nut. Give the wheel a good pull and it should come off.

Then put the steering column surrounding plastics back and install the new wheel..

I taped the loose leather on the steering wheel for now.. Couldnt bother to repair it just now.

Still dont know how to remove the oil light and the airbag light.. Does anybody have some suggestions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Tried putting the airbag back. Still light on.
Tried removing the battery with the airbag still connected. Still airbag light on.
Tried removing the battery when the airbag ecu was unplugged and the airbag was still on. Still airbag light. :face:

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Tried putting the airbag back. Still light on.
Tried removing the battery with the airbag still connected. Still airbag light on.
Tried removing the battery when the airbag ecu was unplugged and the airbag was still on. Still airbag light. :face:

Suggestions?
If your not using the Airbag anymore just take out the bulb in the dash?

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
Re: A daily v6 Calibra rocket

As for your dim instrument lights, can be many bulbs failed or have you first tried the dimmer switch knob which is near the headlight switch, annoyingly on my calibra it always gets turned accidentally on dim position, so try this first to make sure it is set to highest brightness.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have a passanger airbag so I would like to keep the bulb and fix it somehow else.
Will check the dimmer switch. :thumb:

Removed some unneccesary wiring today. Some old subwoofer wires and some speaker wires that went to the trunk. Made a new bracket for the coil pack also cause the previous owner let the repair shop attach it with a zip tie and it was dangling too much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So the gearbox started making noises. It mostly whines in third and fourth. Cause the f25 has no dipstick etc to check the oil level I thought I´d change the oil. Well.. it didn´t go according to plan cause the oil filling hole that has a bolt with allen 8mm hole has a 8mm round hole now. Tried welding a socket to the bolt but it didn´t stay on it and the welding position is shit cause there is no room whatsoever. Could I force some oil through the reverse lamp switch hole( OPEL VECTRA-B 1996-2002: F25 MANUAL TRANSMISSION: TRANSMISSION CASE AND COVERS nr 11 )? The oil is so thick that i couldnt squeeze it from the bottle through a 4mm fuel hose.
My plan is to find somekind on M 12x1,5 fitting to screw into the switch hole and then using a grease gun I´d press the oil in until it doesnt take any more.
Or should I find a container that holds 2l of oil, and then use a compressor to pressurise the tank to press the oil in?
Calibra is my daily driver so I would like to fix the problem by myself after work one day. I dont have a engine crane also to take the engine&gearbox out to successfully remove the oil filling hole bolt so yeah, any help is welcome.

Sorry for my english :D

·
Registered
1 Posts

So welded a nut onto the oil top up bolt on the gearbox and got the bolt off. Finally. Next I poured in 1.9l of new oil. Took the car for a spin and there was no whining coming from the gearbox anymmore. Result!
Then I parked it and checked for leaks. Found one :(
The passanger driveshaft seal on the gearbox was leaking oil everywhere.. oh well. The driveshaft didn`t have a rubber dust cover also on the gearbox so that probably let the dirt between the seal and weared it out. Now I´m in front of a dilemma weather I should change the seal myself or take the car to the shop. I should have all the tools for the job. The seal only costs like 7 eur but the shop takes 20 eur per hour. I bet it takes them 2 hours at least to change it. 3 coffee breaks and 30min worth of real work.
Has somebody done this kind of job recently? What kind of bolts hold the driveshaft to the gearbox? What else should I get besides the seal and the dust cover?

Didn´t even notice that I logged in with my other account.. :face:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: A Daily V6 Calibra Rocket

Does AF22 automatic gearbox fit to c25xe? If so, do the box mounts and drive shafts fit to calibra straight without any hassle?

·
Registered
297 Posts

I'll never go for a lazy automatic box (exept for a double clutch VW group DSG) on a V6. Most flexible choice (between performances and fuel consumption) could be F28 6 gears (little bit more fragile if not used with shrewdness), most common not standard gearboxes fitted on V6 are F20 and F23.
If you can't find out a F28 go for F20 or 23

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Okay. I`ll look into fixing my f25. It quite often throws out fourth gear and doesn´t disengage. I have to double clutch and let go off the throttle to get to third or fifth..
Changed the rear brakes today. Car stoppes so much better now and the handbrake engages on the first click. Result:thumb:

Tomorrow I´ll change the passanger driveshaft ring seal and dust cover.

·
Registered
297 Posts

If I were you I'll search for a F20 or 23, stock F25 is lazy as automatic is.....a really awkward gearbox the F25

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well came from the repair shop and the gearbox is on its way to its end. Little metal pieces in the oil.
So a box change is a must. What box should I fit? A f28 is too expensive for the moment. Does a f16 bolt straight onto the v6 and do the driveshafts I have now fit the box?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Found out that f16 box fits the v6 but top speed would be 135mph. Thinking of going for the f20 ( 150mph max ) but havent fount one yet. C20xe flywheel should fit the v6 but does a f16 flywheel fit the v6? I bet the clutch wont last.. :/

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts

I'd use an F23 from a Vectra B. Strong, cheap and lets you have a cable gearshift instead of a linkage (easy mod, see my build thread)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So I´m having problems with the mighty f25. Havent changed the gearbox with the engine still in the car before..
I removed the gear linkage from the box, removed the clutch cable and unbolted the box from the engine. Also removed the drivers side driveshaft but the gearbox has only moved a cm from the engine. It wont go any further for some reason unknown. I unbolted the rear box mount and the front box mount also.
What could be the problem? Should I just get a bigger crowbar :D ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Bigger crowbar helped :D (Y)
Got the gearbox off and started to look for the leaky main shaft seal ( or how do you call it? :D . Cause that´s what I thought was wrong with the box because it was leaking a lot of oil ). That was not the case :(

How .... what the f#"! ?! What could of have done something like that? Clutch?

There are no marks on it..

That explains the metal particles. I´m thinking of taking the box apart to check the insides and I`ll maybe take the broken piece to the welder.
But still.. how can I get something like this from happening again?

I can´t be bothered to change the box and flywheel for something different at the moment. Too much work and I`ll bet anything else would bolt just on.
When this box cant cut it no more then I´ll just find another F25 I think.

Rocket is pointing to the sky as it should :D

Sorry for my bad english :D

1 - 20 of 85 Posts