Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there pritty damn quick aint they...

had a race with one last night in my 16v thought it would be an easy victory it wasn't here's what happend

ok cam flying round a bend heading towards a roundabout when i see the car in front is the exact replica of mine only in the 8Valve version and seemingly totaly standard (was on standard wheels ride hight was standard) so weve both gone over the roundabout normally then he boots it round a long left hand bend i instantly took to the bait and went booting after him got round the bend and the gap haden't really changed, went across up about a mile straight where i was all over his bum then into another set of twisty's where he seemed to have the edge, i wasn't giving it my all as the roads were quite slipery and didn't want to have an accident but on saying that i wasent driving slowley either he probably managed to make a car lenth or two on me round the bends which really suprised me as like i said it was on a standard ride hight, so then we come out of the bends and im straight up is bum again and we end up in flowing traffic he gives me a quick flash of his fog lights and i flashed my spot lights then indicated to go into the garage he didn't stop to chat unfortantly but did take the time to beep me goodbye (a civilised race :D )

really didn't think an 8valve could take the edge on my modded 16v but as i said i didn't go to mental through the bends and i can only assume he did but was a great race with both of us in the same race line must have looked great for anyone that saw it two cars that look almost identical hacking at and around speeds of over a 100mph at times, i would like to have been a pedestrian :)

·
Registered
23,733 Posts
I've got an 8v 1.8 SXI - its suprising what you can keep up with and the torque is luvverly ;) I've kept up with a 16v astra coming off a roundabout all the way to 90 (we both bottled it and slowed down then - it was approaching Billing and the police tend to sit on the bridges around there with the cameras).

I dont have to thrash the nuts off it to get anywhere fast - a lot of the power is low down and there's more than enough to spin the wheels in first on power alone in the dry. In the wet, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelspins are a reality too.

It seems a lot of people write of the 8v 1.8 and 2.0 but it still makes me smile every time I floor it :)

·
Registered
23,733 Posts
Makes me laugh though. Vauxhall are making Corsas with SXI badges on and a 1.2 engine.

I've had a race with someone (who I left standing) who caught up with me in a supermarket car park and wanted to know how a 1.2 astra could frap the living daylights out of his 1.4 saxo.

After a few minutes of trying to explain that the old SXI's were 1.8 litres and not 1.2's, I gave up and showed him the engine (muck and all). I still dont think he believed me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was always under the illusion that the 8v's are far inferiour to the 16v but on the road there's not really a lot in it

im sure if we had a f*****g great track to blast round i would have had him a lot more easily but on the road (where it counts IMO) there's not that much init...:D

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Well my 8v made a 16.3s 1/4 mile when it was mildly modded. A GTE 16v would be somewhere in the mid 15s as standard. So the 16v is quicker.
You don't konw if the other car was a stealth car with rebuilt suspension and good tyres though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dom said:
Makes me laugh though. Vauxhall are making Corsas with SXI badges on and a 1.2 engine.

I've had a race with someone (who I left standing) who caught up with me in a supermarket car park and wanted to know how a 1.2 astra could frap the living daylights out of his 1.4 saxo.

After a few minutes of trying to explain that the old SXI's were 1.8 litres and not 1.2's, I gave up and showed him the engine (muck and all). I still dont think he believed me :rolleyes:

lmao lmao should have told him your wheel barrow could of had his paxo lmao lmao lmao

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tomstickland said:
Well my 8v made a 16.3s 1/4 mile when it was mildly modded. A GTE 16v would be somewhere in the mid 15s as standard. So the 16v is quicker.
You don't konw if the other car was a stealth car with rebuilt suspension and good tyres though.
i did wonder this last night the paint work was mint so it did have the sign's for a sleeper but like u say couldn't tell with going under the bonet to see if he had stopped it would have been my first question

·
Registered
272 Posts
What's all this about 8v ers being nearly as fast as 16v ers to 80?
I have owned a 1.8,2.0,3x 16v ers and one turbo and the valvers are a shite tone faster than the 8v! Like one second faster to 60 which is quite a way ahead!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AJRAT said:
What's all this about 8v ers being nearly as fast as 16v ers to 80?
I have owned a 1.8,2.0,3x 16v ers and one turbo and the valvers are a shite tone faster than the 8v! Like one second faster to 60 which is quite a way ahead!
think there's a bit more to it than that!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know all the variables and 'the bit more to it' but i am talking about the many,many races i have had with many,many different cars whom i have beaten!

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
AJRAT said:
I know all the variables and 'the bit more to it' but i am talking about the many,many races i have had with many,many different cars whom i have beaten!
I've driven both the 16v and the 8v GTE's. I found very little difference between them although the 8v does have better handling due to lower engine weight.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I drove my cav 8v then tried a GSi 16v on the same section of road, 16v is definately faster top end but up to the ton i noticed nominal differences.

But as Tom said there are many variables which have an impact. As long as its a Vaux who cares :D

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Well the problem is that there are some people who think that the engine just being a 20XE is enough for it be a fast car, but then forget about maintenance etc. Seeing that none of the cars are now less than 10 years old, maintenance history is going to make a fair difference.
Now, my car is now 145BHP ish and stripped off 150Kg and it felt a lot faster at first, and it's about 1.5s quicker down the 1/4 mile than it was. However, in a side by side race with it's old self I don't know how much difference there'd be up to 80.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.