Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas what the differances r ive been told i can fit the 16v head to the
8V block is this correct i have seen this done in a astra also fitted with a turbo

or will i need to change the pistons is there any other differances i know the 8v dont have a nock sensor on the rear of the block

thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
This has been covered quite a lot, but the 16v head is not compatible with the standard 8v bottom end due to piston to valve clearance. Other than the knock sensor the blocks are the same.

·
Registered
525 Posts
if you're talking the redtop 16v you gotta to use the rods as well. if you're talking about an ecotec 16v than the pistons will fit straight to the 8v rods.

·
Registered
525 Posts
that's been said but I have both here (16v from the UK and 8v from the US) and aside from the flywheel bolt pattern and the front of the crank where the front seal goes they look to be an identical cast. both of the things I mentiond are done after casting of course. I guess there could be a different 8v cast from the UK to the US but I doubt it. besides we usually get the knock-offs where you guys get the goods so another strick to that idea.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
started swopping the bottom ends over

new block

engine being taken out

i have started to rebuild the new block but ive had afew set backs
1)bottom pully being diffrerent as it was the belt type and the XE pulley not fitting
2)braking my starter motor (luckly i had a brand new one waiting)

will the XE pistons defo fit onto the 8V rods as the bottom pulley off the XE dont fit the the center of the pulley is to big

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Not wanting to piss on your fire but after looking into doing this myself, the 16v block has a few minor differences to the 8v. Fundamentally they are the same everything lines up etc. however, rear oil return feed in the centre of the block, is ever so slightly different. I was warned that i may experience issues with oil leaks around that area. The 16v crankshaft is different too, although you may be able to get away with using the 8v crank with 16v rods and pistons.

HTH :)

·
Banned
779 Posts
i have started to rebuild the new block but ive had afew set backs
1)bottom pully being diffrerent as it was the belt type and the XE pulley not fitting
use an early type 8v pulley that should fit the late 8v crank bolt set-up and will run v-belt,

failing that just upgrade your engine to ribbed belt you've got it all on the 8v block there

id watch out for the oil hole the guys are on bout tho mate look into that

maybe an ecotec block might be easyer? ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts