Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, ive got a Cav GSi (saloon, obviously) and in the past i've always cut up rear shelves and installed 6x9's but is it really worth it ?

Would't a quality set of 6.5in (or are they 6in) co-axials be just as effective and more importantly invisible to thieving pykies ?

I'm just going to run them using my sony cdx-m800 which is 4x52... and I know ppl will say you need 6x9's for the bass but whats the point if you install a seperate sub and amp ?

I want sound quality more than anything.

so what do you think guys ?

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
u need a decent set of components up front (defo look at the £140+ department) so infity, jl, rockford, mb quart sets should be a minimum. ok it will be out of the way, it will also be a major hike in sound quality (sq) and with any decent components u get a directional tweeter too for sound stage.

1. components can fit in the normal place, and out perform the normal speakers in most of the upper end of the market (£140+)

2. 6x9's are good for rear fill but 'are' on display, and being so far behind you.. area waste of time unless you are limited on funds (imho) as they give good amounts of bass as well.

3. a well set up set of components may well give good bass too, thus keeping the car light without the need for a sub (but we all like bass dont we) so a sub is still a good idea, if funds allow. but a sub and component set up should be good enough for most ears.

just my opinions.

the fnp 2614's i have just fitted are at least twice as good as the standard fronts so are well recomended at around the £127 mark.

gav.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a set of Ifinity 552i's (5.25in, 2-way, 45w rms, 135w peak) which I used to have in my front doors of my cav 4x4 but I needed to do some DIY to the door cards (had to hack away the plasric speaker cover section) due to the magnet being to large. I don't want to do this again so do you know any that will fit like a glove and not require any cutting of the actual doorcards (or should I cut the doorcards? do they hinder the sound? will it sound better with the new wire speaker guards or no guard at all?)

Also

Co-axial or component for rear and front ?

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
i just ordered some 17cm vaux fit kenwood components cos i was told that the rear doors need to be chopped to bits due to the fact they only have small holes behind the original speakers.... which was total rubish!!!! 4x 15mm cuts and an adjustment with a hammer and the 6" r/f's fitted great, dont foul the door card or anything. so these may well be being sold in the very near future. as for the 5 1/4's.... aint got a scooby. with most upgrades the magnets need to be bigger due to a higher power handling, so i recon one way or the other ur going to need to adapt the dood to fit, as mentioned... its not always a great ammount. get the right speaker rings though (or make your own with some mdf) sorted!

gav.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.