Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was having a look at replacing my standard speakers for 6x9 Sony 4-way ones......a mate of mine was having a look at how it could be done, and was coming up what sounded like nonsense about sawing into the parcel shelf (metal underneath) and having to add a MDF mount for the speakers to sit into!!!!!
Does this sound right.....coz it sounds like a lotta hassle for a little more sound!!
By the way it's a MK3 Astra Saloon!!

Laters

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Mate i had exactly the same problem, I had the JBL P93 6x9's (very hard to beat), cost me £100. Once i sold the nova they were in (briefly) i looked into installing them in my cav. No way! I aint makin a shelf (complete with head-rest mounts) to sit 4" above my existing metal shelf and I aint hacking into the chassis!!! NO way!!

So I sold my 6x9's and I am now looking for the 13cm or 6.5" component speakers made by JBL (lee may has some). They are around £70 I think at the cheapest. Then I will add an amp and a sub and some more up frnt and they will sound sweet.

Hopefully some of the fellow MK3's on here will add their 2 pence worth. But I think you'll agree, it makes sense. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can mount 6x9's straight into a Cav saloon.

You simply mount them from below. If you move them about a bit you will find a position where they sit flat on the shelf and can "fire" through the standard speaker holes - then just drill new mounting holes and secure in place. The only thing to check is that the cone won't hit the back of the shelf - most won't but you might need a spacer on some.

·
Registered
46 Posts
6x9s in front doors would be a lot of hassle. If you really want them the door cards will need quite a lot of work and them some kind of mounting ring to get them on the doors. I would fit 6.5" speakers. I have JBL components which sound pretty good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.