Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the easiest little part to get off the car but its now off.

Sticking 12V either polarity onto the solenoid does nothing although there is lots of current being taken so it looks like the solenoid is stuck, hence the 4x4 light being on.

There are 4 little hex bolts holding the solenoid onto the accumulator valve block, can anybody confirm their (head) size? Larger than 2mm and smaller than 3 and I found an unknown size that was perfect but clearly wasn't a quality tool as it just bent and rounded its corners off.

Looks like I'll either need a 1/4" or 1/2" socket version of the correct size made out of decent metal or I could just cut off the heads and I presume the solenoid will just slide down the shafts and off? I can then get a pair of grips on the bolts and get em out.

Anybody know the length, thread, size of these 4 bolts so I can then destrucively remove them and get some replacements? (and a supplier if possible too).

I'm just hoping that I can rebuild the solenoid and it'll work, failing that, anybody know how much these solenoids are new and where's best mail order place for one as it may make more sense to just get a new one with new bolts?

Slowly getting there.....

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andy

I was going to saw and screwdriver it but its such a small head I just know it'll fall to pieces.

May have another go tomorrow night after I get some prices for a new one!

:)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on this.....

I did slot them, and 3 out of the 4 came out.
The 4th decided to sheer off at the solenoid.

All of them were so badly corroded into the solenoid that they had to be levered out with a claw hammer (actually worked quite well).
The last one I had to sheer off by using a spanner on the solenoid so the threaded part was left in the valve assembly.

I managed to prove that both valve and solenoid were faulty (at least thats what I've convinced myself) and have a replacement set on their way from a fellow Mig'er.

My first sheered off bolt was one of the 4 holding on the sump oil level gauge, this is the 2nd. I expect loads more.

What with having to grind the head off the countersunk bolt holding on one of the front discs I'm not having much luck.

This weekend should see the 4x4 working and the car drivable for the first time in 3 years 8 months!

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not like it needs that bolt holding the disc on, its got 5 wheelbolts too!

Just means that when changing the wheel, you have to jiggle the disk into the correct place over the stud thats left.

I will deal with this sometime when I next see a stud extractor in a shop.
I could drill it out and then easiout but I've lost my easiouts. Could probably drill it out and then collapse it too. When shes all up and running i'll get round to all these little bits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.