Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick query, when you get a upgraded chip do they go in instead of the Vauxhall Chip, or do they all go in as a seperate chip (like a friends does). Or maybe both, in which case which is best, and why.....

Many thanks.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Dunno about how they fit, but Unichip is regarded as a goodun.
Mainly because it's remappable.. other off the shelf ones aren't (like Superchip, for example)

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
dave dempsey had one and it made about 1.2 bhp difference.. do a search, it'll be about somewhere.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Animal said:
dave dempsey had one and it made about 1.2 bhp difference.. do a search, it'll be about somewhere.
1.2 bhp, god doesn't really cut it against the cost of them does it. Although if the torque and the felxabilty of the engine is improved then I would consider it possibly worth while.

I was just curious if it still relied on the Vauxhall chip for anything, I am wondering if mine is playing up a bit you see, so naturally a "upgraded" replacement is a consideration, unless it needs the vauxhall one as well, in which case no advantage.....

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The superchip on the Vectra is just downloaded onto the ECU via a serial port, so it is still "using" the old chip, but just has different parameters in it.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Some chips replace the existing one. Others 'piggy back' on the existing one - basically the existing chip does the real work, but the piggyback chip alters the input/output signals of the original chip.

Some ECUs can't be chipped by replacement ( eg Toyota's TCCS system ) as the original chip is soldered into the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts