Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Here goes, I've got a ecotec SRi Cav and the idle control valve is making the engine surge on idle and after driving settles at about 1500 rpm. Is it worth cleaning the icv or just replacing it? The car went for a pre-mot today and was told by the garage it won't pass an mot with the tick over all over the shop.

Any help or veiws from experience appreiciated......

Wayne

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Had the same problem and definately atleast try the cleaning option.

Carb cleaner is about a fiver I think and a new ICV isn't cheap, sure it just needs a clean.

Just whip it off, spray some carb cleaner through and leave it to dry. May be worth changing the gasket too as that could also be the problem.

HTH

·
Moderator / Memberships
19,135 Posts
No-Spec's went loopy just as I joined the queue for the bleedin' 1/4 mile strip! Then it died and wouldn't run without some gas.
I quickly returned to the pits, whipped the whole thing off the throttle body (two 5mm allen bolts) then removed the motor (two screws) and poured some fresh engine oil down into the valve. Re-assembled it and it's been fine since.

Definitely DO NOT just clean it with carb cleaner etc without re-lubricating it somehow afterwards.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads
Just took it off now only half a gasket on there. Sprayed plenty of carb cleaner into it and then plenty of WD40. Cleaned mating faces of flanges put it back on without a gasket, Sweet as, Idlesat about 650rpm with no surging at all rev it and comes back to 650rpm straight away..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts