Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the SEH cap is there a carbon "pencil" that makes contact? with the top of the rotor. Mine is flush with the brass collar and there seems to be some sort of arcing splatter. I wanted to see a new looking one to compare.

I also want to see how much "meat" should be there on the end of the rotor - I think mine has been sanded clean a few times too often.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I don't have a pic handy, but I can confirm on the SER which I believe is identical in that respect, that there should defo be a 'lead' sticking out about 2-3mm from the cap for the rotor contact. It's spring loaded.

The rotor doesn't have much metal sticking out, maybe only 0.5mm from the plastic.

Sounds like both your items are well past renewal time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for a laugh I phoned the local Opel agents - they want R1358 (~130 pounds) :eek: :eek: for the cap

I think I will get my bro in the UK to post me one from Autovaux.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Genuine Vauxhalls caps and arms are quite expensive in the UK as well. Not anything like that much though.

I got ones from a motor factors and paid £30 delivered to my door. Only 2 weeks ago as it happens! Also got some nice leads and new spark plugs. Do a search for Express Auto Factors or Kerr Nelson leads, the post was started by Dom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked my car and the cap is a Sagem/Valeo one - Google is not my friend on this one, Autovaux only have Bosch ones, South Africa agents have no stock and don't know how long it will take to get one. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Got a pic of yours? I have a SER lump in storage that has a brand new cap and rotor arm on it. If its the same I could ship it out to you.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I don't think the make matters. I have had a Halfords on on mine, and am just about to fit a Facet one. I'm sure Bosch will be perfect, especially as they make the ignition system...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the offer Stefan - A re-quote on the valeo/sagem cap came in at R480 (UKP48) - erm bit of a difference there I think, bloody stealers!

I am following a few leads from the local Opel Owners Clubs, if I still have no joy I'll be in touch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts