Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disappointing drive in one today. Went about 35 miles in it, combination of dual carriageway and b/a-roads. Sure it felt pretty stable, was direct with pin-sharp steering and good feedback through the wheel, but the engine was a huge let-down, and it's not just this one. Power seems quite hit and miss, not like it drops off, more comes and goes as the revs rise. Yes, because it's Jap NA you have to wring its neck, but all I got was more noise and vibration. I know the turbo is highly regarded, maybe for smaller people it's a different experience (no chafing of the steering wheel), but for me I was fairly unimpressed by this car, perhaps mostly the engine given that the 1.6 16v is a goodun.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Rev 3 Import Turbo is an Evil little car, book figure is 240BHP but allot have gone on the rollers totally stock and pull more like 270BHP, a filter exhaust and chip will see you at about 300BHP, im looking into importing one in the near future. Sorry for going off topic there, i have driven the model you have driven and like you said the power is not impressive but i loved the driveing experience, gravel car park and rear wheel drive is fun, its TURBO or bust with these things though, they are bloody heavy cars too, i used to pull away from these things in my C16XE Corsa GSI with 135BHP they used to pip me though as i had chuff all top end could easily be ahead till 120 then the MR2 would creep back, 1.6 16V or 2litre MR2, have to be the tunable 1.6 every time

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
I find my mk1 (1.6 16v) grossly underpowered, but its great fun to throw around!

Driven the mk2 (2.0 16v), did seem slow compaired to my Cav 2.0 8v SRi. To be fair, they are made for posing, not performance. You'll need the turbo charged version to get anything noticable.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
BlackIce said:
I find my mk1 (1.6 16v) grossly underpowered, but its great fun to throw around!
They're not too bad with a decent exhaust and filter on them, but you really need an SC like my current one for real fun. With the Fensport modified SC drive pulley and a decat exhaust its putting out considerably more than the standard 145bhp ( N/A is 123bhp ) :D And the sound of the supercharger just behind your head is terrific !

On the Mk2, it depends which revision you get as the 3S-GE engine varied between 150 bhp and 174 bhp during its lifespan. A malfunctioning TVIS system can also cause the car to appear to be underpowered.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
My mate had a 168bhp MR2 NA. Felt very poor compared to my Rover Turbo and my GTE seemed much quicker.
They weight quite a lot, proper sportscar chassis etc.
Definately more suited to being a turbo car.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I was gunna get one a couple of years ago, found one at a garage, arranged a test drive, got in the car and couldn't drive it!!! I'm 6'5" and I lift my leg up to press the clutch down (steering wheel got in the way!!!)

·
Registered
218 Posts
A turboed Rev 3 import MR2 would leave allot of cars for dead, with a few modifications the majority of stock high performance cars would lose out and you get into supercar teritory, its these engines that can be tuned to 1000BHP, they stick them in Supras and set them back to improve the centre of gravity etc, good engines, why the hell do i not have one LOL

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
MartG said:
They're not too bad with a decent exhaust and filter on them, but you really need an SC like my current one for real fun. With the Fensport modified SC drive pulley and a decat exhaust its putting out considerably more than the standard 145bhp ( N/A is 123bhp ) :D And the sound of the supercharger just behind your head is terrific !

On the Mk2, it depends which revision you get as the 3S-GE engine varied between 150 bhp and 174 bhp during its lifespan. A malfunctioning TVIS system can also cause the car to appear to be underpowered.
To be fair I darent give mine too much throttle as the rear calipers have seized and stopping takes about a week. But I was surprised that its not excellent performance. Bearing in mind I swapped my 115bhp Cav SRi for it, which felt a hell of a lot quicker!! I didnt swap it for the performance aspect though, I did it because it was a nice 2 seater sports car with the t-bar and the leather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts