Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, an x16xe I think, would there be any benefit from using a c16xe?

At the moment I've got a bog standard 1.6 16v, what should I do... I can fabricate stuff like a mantzel/dbilas clone, but not something like an exhaust manifold.

mark.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right here is what is planned for this engine -

> stainless exhaust manifold (CAT under car [normally on mani on cs], irmscher backbox)
> remove EGR humps from exhaust ports and manifold, blank EGR on DIS mount (if it's in the same place as on my ecowreck)
> mini supercharger mounted where a mantzel would sit, with adaptor between inlet ports and charger exhaust
> thick headgasket to drop the compression a small amount (is this necessary with the charger?)
> 2 litre ecotec throttle body
> matheus style variable rate FPR
> live map (if possible with the standard ecu) otherwise somekind of fuel bender
> and most importantly INDUCTION KIT :D

·
Premium Member
9,554 Posts
mantzel power box
daztec uni chip
de cat
4 branch
good free flowing exhaust and you should get 150-164 bhp

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
de cat is illegal i think on my year engine

4 branch - definately - rest of exhaust is taken care of bascially, but will the standard 46mm corsa diameter, with the cat relocated to where the first muffler would normally sit, and an irmy backbox (which I have already)

datec uni chip - is that a fuel bender? I am looking into something similar from blitz, which you can interface with your PC and has a sender unit and a dashboard mount display (R-fit)

mantzel power box - yes, I was planning to make a clone of one of these, but for not much money you can get a mini supercharger which I think would be a great project to fit

should I be able to make 150 on standard internals, with standard management?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
if you are talking about those electric superchargers don't even bother!!
if anything you would need a rotrex (sp?) supercharger and forged pistons to run a decent amount of boost....any form of forced induction needs at least forged pistons for it to run safely. Using a 'compression plate' head gasket is also a pretty **** way of lowering the compression and is far from ideal for a supercharger conversion on any engine. TBH you will have to spend a fair bit to get a decent supercharger set-up as decent engine management and forged pistons are needed plus lots of knowledge and time!

Kev_G said:
mantzel power box
daztec uni chip
de cat
4 branch
good free flowing exhaust and you should get 150-164 bhp
Kev has got the right idea, although in my opinion to see 150bhp you will need some headwork and some cams with the goodies he has mentioned.

...oh and a dastek unichip is bit more than a 'fuel bender' its a fully mappable piggyback ECU, perfect for what you are after.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know a thick headgasket isnt exactly ideal, but it is better than running higher compression. surely 150hp is not going to be enough power to melt the pistons of the x16, they are made with the same technology / materials as the x20xev pistons (rods also I guess) which is 140hp standard and there are plenty of people runnign more power than that with standard internals. there are turbocharged 140hp 1.4s running on standard bottom ends with thicker head gaskets so why is this different?

on the same topic - does anyone know the differences between the x16 and c16? c16 has a better head design iirc (similar to redtop->ecotec story I guess :cool:) but does it have better (forged?) pistons like the 20xe ?

anyone know the specs of the 16xe bottom end components ->

block - 200hp+++
pistons -
rods -

cheers

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
it's just not the way to do it mate! If you want to do a job do it properly or don't do it at all.

For example....a friend of mine is having his Suzuki Swift GTI turbocharged and he's is spending £5000 to do it properly!!! I wouldn't spend that much on a Swift myself but at the end of it he'll have an easy 200bhp and shouldn't have any trouble with engine failure in the future.

If you want 150bhp from an X16XE that you can drive daily, without frequent problems and without spending a fortune then avoid forced induction. You will be taking shortcuts to do it on the cheap and it will end up going horribly wrong IMO.

And X16XE and C16XE pistons are identical IIRC, neither of them are forged, they are cast pistons. Also X20XEV pistons may handle 140bhp but that engine has larger capacity.....in effect you will be forcing a similar amount of air into an engine with 400cc less capacity, creating larger pressure forces and therefore putting more strain on the pistons.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
surely the pistons can handle 40 extra horsepower without melting? theyre not made of cheese... if i was aiming for 200hp then I can see the necessity of forged pistons etc. because you'd be doubling the power, also since a supercharger will only be running a mild amount of boost at any one time (<1bar) the strains are nowhere near what a turbo would inflict on the internals (I think :p ). the headgasket should lower the compression enough to make it more or less safe surely? i would have thought in these cases it's the threat of detonation that is more of a probelm than the extra power. mark

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
detonation will be a problem. how do you intend to supply the extra fuel needed? Can't see the ECU having any maps for positive boost and I doubt the MAP sensor will read positive boost either so basically you'll be needing some engine management. How much are these superchargers you are thinking of using, got any links to info on them??

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
MarkyG said:
the headgasket should lower the compression enough to make it more or less safe surely?

Tell you what. Convince yourself that everyone on here is talking rot, and just go and do it.

Build your engine.

Then post pictures when you've finished it. Then post pictures when your pistons weld themselves to the sides of the bores or you blow your inch thick head-gasket to pieces.

Don't under-estimate how quickly a head gasket will go through. I put a cheap head gasket on my 2.25 diesel land rover and it ate through it in 2000 miles.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
JackS said:
Tell you what. Convince yourself that everyone on here is talking rot, and just go and do it.

Build your engine.

Then post pictures when you've finished it. Then post pictures when your pistons weld themselves to the sides of the bores or you blow your inch thick head-gasket to pieces.

Don't under-estimate how quickly a head gasket will go through. I put a cheap head gasket on my 2.25 diesel land rover and it ate through it in 2000 miles.
Exactly!:beer:

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
i can't believe that you are going down this route of mini superchargers and thick head gaskets,etc when there are plenty of 16XE owners who have used the tried and tested route of mantzel powerbox or throttle bodies to achieve 150bhp without even opening the engine.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cos thats not breaking any new ground really is it? and you can lower the compression to 8.5:1 using a 1.9mm headgasket, which is the same (almost) compression that the mini cooper s uses. i have a programmable ECU I can use if I really need to, but regal/dbilas are running positive pressure on standard corsa c ECUs even if theyre power figures are plucked from thin air (1.4 on standard internals - 190hp).

the supercharger was £130 - look on ebay for "mini supercharger"

mark.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exactly, just realized corsa c's use afm :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
to get 150 from a 1.6 16v engine your best bet is to get throttle bodies and management, will prob be cheaper than going down the inlet route. etc!!!!!

i had:

lexmaul inlet
head work
4-2-1
decat
2.25" exhaust
remap
256 cams
viper

and that made 140bhp...

the money spent would be bette spend on tbs and management

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive got an engine in the works thats going to be running tbs and management, I want a different challenge :p . inlet route seems OK, I suppose.

does anyone have a c16xe engine, can they tell me if it has an AFM or a MAP sensor? cheers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts