Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I went on www.novaload.net website and had a read up.
It says that if you put a 1.2 head on a 1.4 sr bottom end it will raise the compression flow better.
Is this true?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
So long as you use a head off a 1.2 carb (NOT the later injection one) or a 1.3, then yes, they do flow much better than the 1.4s. One of the reasons they flow much better is down to the shape of the inlet ports. 1.4s are square, whereas the 1.2 carb and 1.3s are round :)

Cheers,
Kieran

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
BigKingy said:
Would there be any gains on sticking a 1.2/1.3 carb head onto a 1.6 carb engine? (16sv)
I'd imagine there's a strong chance this would raise the compression too much and start killing engine parts regularly, like gaskets etc. I could be wrong though :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i have herd that the 1.3sr nova is quicker than a 1.4sr if thats so then would it be better for me to get a 1.3sr engine put in mine or would it be faster if i put a 1.4bottom end in.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'd stick with the 1.4 bottom end. After all, before the 1.4 engine came along, you had people going to the trouble of reboring their 1.3s and using 1.2 carb pistons to increase cc to around 1396/1.4 anyway :)

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
1.3 is 70bhp
1.4 is 72bhp

i heard all the 1.3 is quicker bollocks when i was in college.. and it was usually from 1.3 owners... then it did what they said was wrong and got a 1.4... then i beat them....

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
ah right ok ive never actually seen a 1.3 and 1.4 race so im not sure which is faster but if i did the same thing as tazd wants to do would that make it faster than a 1.3 and 1.4

·
Registered
568 Posts
the story of 13sr bein quicker than the 1400 is very old and not true although it is a close run thing. it originated from the fact that the 14sr engine was badly built and for an extra 100cc the engine only actually made another 2 bhp which really means there isnt much between them although with a little work 100bhp can be pushed from the 1400

chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts