Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first... newbie pokeing moment !!

ok... back 2 business im currently in the prosess of passing my test and have just gotmyself a 1.2 16v corsa.b sxi thats had some cash thrown at it already (gsi kit, single wiper, smooth boot, tints, lowered and 17"s etc) and im thinking baout spending bit of cash on more mods like brakes etc but what engine does this car have is it mpi or spi or how can i tell wen it gets here

cheers

rob

oh and neideas of brakes will be great

·
Registered
973 Posts
it has multipoint injection. Best brake mod you can do on a shoestring is get a set of calipers from a 16V astra gsi and a set of braided hoses. So much better than the standard brakes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool cheers for that is that of the mk 2 astra ?? also hurd that u can use cav gsi or calibra brakes aswell is that also a good idea??

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
can use brakes off any mk2, 3 or that sorta era car. i have some calibra turbo 284 calipers for sale which you could use -> see my sig

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm not a fan of the V6/Turbo brakes on corsas. The piston is quite a bit bigger and I found the pedal to be a bit too spongy, even with braided hoses. Secondly the V6/Turbo brakes are for 5 stud hubs, you will need to get re-drilled 5 stud disks or a set of pricey 4 stud versions. I've heard you can use lotus elise mk2 disks but they are the wrong thickness as far as i know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok spoke 2 silverlake (local scrappy) and thay got the cav 2.0 ones there so ill be having those soon and does anyone know that the tc light is on my dash ??? i noticed this wen i was replacing the lockwood dials (the clown who had the car b4 me messed it up)

cheers
rob

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
1.check with your insureance,to see if you can any of that to it,
2.if youve got 17" get 288 from some one on here so the disks are allready redrilled,or 256(cav) ones as you dont really need 288,but 288s will look better behind your rims,
3.silverlakes will rip you off,
4.theres a monthsly meet in while on the 3rd sunday of the month,pm me for deatills,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im prob just gonna stick with the 256's as thay pretty much bolt on and i cant be assed with the hassle of redrilling and yea spose ur right on silverlakes but there local the insurence is not a problem ive been quoted 1600 with my points all mods declared and as this is my first car and only jst passed my test i dont think thats 2 shabby

pm just about 2 be sent 2 benn

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
1.2 16v is single point injected

turbo(284) pistons are the same size as astra gte/2.0 calipers (54mm)
288 stuff has 57mm pistons and this will give u the long pedal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smokeydabear said:
what insurance company is that with??

Is that on ur own insurance??

thats with admiral and with my old dear as the second driver (me as main)

im now confused is it mpi ??? or spi ????? tell me or ill as ........ REGAL!!!!!
haha

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok anouther question about brakes yesterday i retro fitted my standerd 13s and after looking at the discs inside them it apears that i only have about 10mm cleerence between the brake disc and caliper and the wheel does anyone know y ?? or thinks that the conversion has already been done ??

·
Registered
973 Posts
x12xe is multipoint injection. iirc 256mm brakes dont fit behind 13" wheels, so its probably not been done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok cheers any idea of what has been done ??

·
Registered
973 Posts
to your brakes? don't have a clue, if you want to know what size discs are on then take the wheel off and measure them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i know that just cudent be arsed 2 go out in the pissing rain and do it lol

is ther any outher common conversions ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts